Horsepower Run Curve from ET Analyst

Place to add formulas. If you post a formula please make sure your abbreviations are spelled out so it avoids a lot of follow-up postings. I know a lot of abbreviations are common or taken to be common knowledge. Please be sure to checkout the new FAQ of common abbreviations.

Please post formulas in separate topics, do not add formulas to someone else's post unless it relates to the original post. Also in the topic line make a note of what your posted formula is about . Thanks
200cfm

Horsepower Run Curve from ET Analyst

Post by 200cfm »

Ok, here is the challenge. Larry's ET Analyst gives the printout of the run from launch to finish with distance every 10 feet, g forces, time lapse, mph and rpm value at each 10 ft. s. How do I calculate HP Run Curve for the run? What formula? (tom c)
200cfm

Re: Horsepower Run Curve from ET Analyst

Post by 200cfm »

Found these formulas and thought they would work but can't come up with a formula that uses the g forces from a run to equate to a force value. The article is a good read. I thought his formula of 1 hp = 375 ft-lbs X mph would work but ????

Newton says: force = mass X acceleration. What are the units in acceleration? Mass would be vehicle weight in lbs. I think.

http://craig.backfire.ca/pages/autos/horsepower
200cfm

Re: Horsepower Run Curve from ET Analyst

Post by 200cfm »

Came up with the following which calculate on my time slips from 0 movement to any position on the run distance.

Work = Force X Distance = Mass times Final Velocity squared divided by 2.

Once you get the work value in newton-meters you can convert to Power.

Power = Work divided by Time.

Once you get the Power in watts you can convert by 1 HP = 745.7 watts.

Above assumes no friction or aero drag, so strictly required force to move "X "mass from 0 to a Final Velocity. I quess it could be considered rear wheel hp or ???. (tom c)