A little help with some formulas

Place to add formulas. If you post a formula please make sure your abbreviations are spelled out so it avoids a lot of follow-up postings. I know a lot of abbreviations are common or taken to be common knowledge. Please be sure to checkout the new FAQ of common abbreviations.

Please post formulas in separate topics, do not add formulas to someone else's post unless it relates to the original post. Also in the topic line make a note of what your posted formula is about . Thanks
1960FL

Re: A little help with some formulas

Post by 1960FL »

Ok here is my issue with the formula in Harolds book and Johns book, The formulas in both these books do not make sense as they are not using proper algebraic notation. If bore^2 is in inches and CSA is in Square inches how can you divide one by the other???? My though is if you look at smiths formula and you look at the Fluids chapter posted they are both ratios Sq inches / Sq inches.

Could it be the formula used got disrupted in editing and should have been (PI * (Bore/2)^2) == Piston area??? Then the numbers jive with Smith and the algebra works out as the two cancel leaving you with speed in FPS!

Last I don’t care about piston speed as my program will give you the answer for both Mean and Max along with Min CSA and Avg CSA so you have something to compare to your probing with.

I think I will post this on the MaxRace Forum…. Both Larry and Stan might chime in.

Rick

PS I really believe that PipeMax is a programmatic representation of smiths book Scientific Design of Exhaust & Intake Systems and Larry did onw He!! of a job.
jfholm

Re: A little help with some formulas

Post by jfholm »

I hope I did this correctly as I am no mathematician. I am just reading Dan Brown's latest book "Inferno" very good book btw. In there he mentions that if you were to take a sheet of paper and tear it in half and stack it, and then keep doing that 50 times you would have a distance past the sun. I said BS, so I rounded off the paper to .004" or a tenth or so of a mm. So the first tear and stack you would have .008" then take that exponentially to the 50 power and it came out to 142,159,079.1468 miles. We know physically you could not do that but mathematically it is amazing.

The book is about trying to control the population of the world and that is where the discussion came from. Trying to show how the world population is exploding.

John