Security

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM
Tony

Re: Security

Post by Tony »

Oh yes we have plenty of violence here, but you can recover pretty quickly from a black eye, or a kick to the balls, or even a not too serious stabbing.
Some coward shooting you repeatedly at close range with a hand gun is going to be a lot more serious.

Just about all of the shooting deaths here are either family disputes, suicides, or gang related turf or drug warfare quite often by outlaw bikers.
These guys are pretty serious about it too, but they never shoot up members of the public, just each other.

Things like an interrupted burglary or road rage almost never include guns, they are just not necessary.
Armed robbery is fairly rare these days, but even that usually only involves a knife or iron bar. Some young punk after drug money.

So yes we can be a pretty violent bunch, but the result is very rarely fatal.
We have not yet reached a threshold where the growing Muslim Jihad menace has outraged enough of us. One day we WILL very likely reach a tipping point.
When it does, we will respond like the tough Russian guys have responded. And we will fix it without needing to resort to guns.
We are not like Europeans, and we are not like Americans either.
We have our own ways of solving threats to our peace and safety in the community.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
ronm

Post by ronm »

Again I apologize to those of a different opinion and to the whole forum. There are communities in America where it is known homeowners have guns. The burglary rate in these communities is almost zero because would be criminals know owners are armed. I sleep well at night here. I have no problem with people who don't like guns and hope they feel the same way about my rights.
Tony

Post by Tony »

I believe in Saudi Arabia, anyone caught stealing gets their right hand cut off.
Nobody there bothers to lock up their homes, or their vehicles, and the theft rate is also just about zero.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
storm

Post by storm »

Ron I would suggest the "world" knows Americans have guns, it is par for the course in the US. Horses for courses, US has guns, Saudi Arabia cuts off your hand if you steal, Japan has a very low crime rate because, it is alleged, they force a confession out of you and in doing so you wish you were dead anyway. Over here we tend not to want to have guns, torture people, cut of appendages, and in general it works for us. Again this is a forum with many people from different cultures with different life experiences. I respect your right to bear arms in your country, I also respect the rights of innocent people to walk down the street and not get shot.

For a thread that was started about online security (even if it wasn't obvious from the title) it has certainly gone along way off track which I don't mind. There is no particular right or wrong because of our differences but you made a joke which you thought was funny and I felt a need to reply suggesting from my perspective, based on my own personal experiences, that it went down like a lead balloon. I didn't expect or require an apology from you. It is just a conversation between different people expressing their points of view which I am more than happy to continue if you want to.
Every job is a self portrait of the person who does it.
Autograph your work with excellence.