Sun Distributor Machine Manometer - Old Hot Rodder

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM
ivanhoew

Re: Sun Distributor Machine Manometer - Old Hot Rodder

Post by ivanhoew »

Jimz Bird wrote:Thanks to all for the input.

Thanks again. I have been fussing internally with myself,

Jim

is that even legal in america jim ?!!! ;)
medusa assembled..first drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKMvQQm7Cn4&t=5s
Jimz Bird

Post by Jimz Bird »

ivanhoew wrote:

Jim

Ivan,
So far it is. But then, we still have a large percent of us Infidels running around here who are well armed. :D
One of my favorite English YouTube guys is Pat Condell. Some of you English Blokes are OK by me.

Jim

PS. I watched some of your YouTube stuff and subscribed. I want to follow your Medusa project.
A guy where I used to do some computer work had a Mini S and took me for a ride. IMPRESSIVE.
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

Jim the unit i posted is good to 10PSI or i think that is 20.5" mercury or a little less than standard V* idle on a good old YBlock. You got any extra 312 or 292 Stuff??? always looking.

Rick
Malvin

Post by Malvin »

A u- tube manometer 60" one can be built for about $ 4.00 to $6.00 :) may be even cheaper
depending on what stuff you already have laying around :)

If you want a hand held digital manometer that has a max pressure of 150 PSI
it cost more but here is a link to that one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380748294646?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
Jimz Bird

Post by Jimz Bird »

Good stuff and ideas on using the square or the tape.
That does seem the way to go for the tall one.

The Pyle PDMM01 is probably best for my needs. It does 55.4 WC/4.7 Hg with a .01/.001 resolution. The higher range PDMM15 resolution is 1.

I'm rebuilding my Sun Machine now, new flash tube, capacitors, drive wheels, etc. I'll just add building the manometer to the list. :D

Rick,
I also collect extra parts, probably too many, but hanging on to them for the time being.

Here is what the Sun Machine looks like for those who haven't seen one.

Thanks to all again,
Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

I have that same machine less the bottom cabinet even have the HEI converter box :-) they are worth there weight.

Rick
ivanhoew

Post by ivanhoew »

Jimz Bird wrote:
ivanhoew wrote:

Jim

Ivan,
So far it is. But then, we still have a large percent of us Infidels running around here who are well armed. :D
One of my favorite English YouTube guys is Pat Condell. Some of you English Blokes are OK by me.

Jim

PS. I watched some of your YouTube stuff and subscribed. I want to follow your Medusa project.
A guy where I used to do some computer work had a Mini S and took me for a ride. IMPRESSIVE.

yes they get pretty lethal with a lot of power .....cambered rds are just scary .

thank you for subscribing i appreciate it ,there is a thread on this very forum you can follow the build on .

i have an old sun machine in my batcave ..

i like em !

regards
robert
medusa assembled..first drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKMvQQm7Cn4&t=5s
Jimz Bird

Post by Jimz Bird »

Robert,
I have had a pleasant evening. I read your all of your "Medusa" thread.
Amazing to see what brought you to the the vid on cranking over Medusa.
You are truly a craftsman but, even more than that an Artisan and beyond.
I realized that fully when you said you visualized a "mental 3d image". I have a friend who can find an old stump or piece of driftwood and he can see that "mental 3d image" of what is hidden inside. You do that with metal. The vast majority of us cannot see that in our mind's eye. It's a gift to be admired.
I look forward to more on that project. Hopefully it is still cooking.

Rick,
I was fortunate with my Sun machine and got the Sun Pulse Amplifier with mine also.
I am the 3rd owner of this machine. Both of the other guys were Magneto guys mostly and I got a really neat and unique attachment with my machine. It is the Sun VSG(Variable Spark Gap). I had never seen one before. It is a down-scaled version of what they use to check aircraft magnetos.
Each gap is set to ensure the mag is sparking as it should at high RPM.
Here are a couple of pics.

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spadegang

Post by spadegang »

I just recently found your forum and love your information. I have several distributor machines and never considered the manometer, only taking for granted that it took the dramatic effects of the old style vacuum pump. I had one apart to repair and attached are photos of the late 40's machine with the manometer integrated in the back.
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

Very neat, those that don't have access have no idea how much easier it makes setting up a distributor, from mom's put put VW Bug to a an all out 9000 rpm small block screamer. I think mine will end up as part of my estate :-)

Rick