Ontario Canada?

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM
Brucepts
Site Admin

Ontario Canada?

Post by Brucepts »

Anyone near Northbrook Ontario?

I found some old mining stock certificates that were my Grandfathers and pictures of the old mine. Trying to find it on Google Maps and was wondering if anyone was in that area of Rt 41?
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
jfholm

Re: Ontario Canada?

Post by jfholm »

Brucepts wrote:Anyone near Northbrook Ontario?

I found some old mining stock certificates that were my Grandfathers and pictures of the old mine. Trying to find it on Google Maps and was wondering if anyone was in that area of Rt 41?
Don't discard those as I have read where some people have found old certificates and they still have worth even if the company was bought out or changed names. The could still be worth a good sum of money and it may be worth researching into it.
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

Pretty much sure they are "dead" stocks from all I have researched in the past and what I read online earlier. I was doing Google Maps driving Rt 41 in that area trying to follow the directions I found on where it was located but could not find the road.

Thought maybe someone would be a "local" there are quite a few forum members in that area of Ontario.

I even have pics of my Grandparents on the "Road Trip" to find their mine, they stopped at a Great Lake and the North Pole in NY. No date on the pics, no kids along so it must have been after they left home. I'll have to ask my mom and see if she remembers a time-frame. Must have been one heck of a road trip!
Bruce

quartermaster

Post by quartermaster »

Hi Bruce Northbrook is about 60 miles or so north of me. I don't know that area very well. It's not that populated. It's also north of the IQ line. That's kind of a local joke for being north of hwy 7. I have been to Kaladar a couple of times. There is a wrecker there that has some older stuff but that is just a little south. What road are you looking for? I don't know if I can help but I will try. Andrew
86rocco

Post by 86rocco »

FWIW, a lot of northern Ontario is riddled with overgrown, abandoned roads. In the late 18th - early 19th century they'd cut in a crude road to log an area or to gain access for prospecting and once the area had been worked out, usually only a few years later, nobody would maintain the road. And now, after all these years, where they'd connected up to the main roads has been totally erased by decades of road maintenance and/or upgrades and the old roads themselves are now completely grown over and all but invisible unless you're standing right on top of them.
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

Took me a minute to figureout the "IQ" line was thinking it was Canadian slang! :oops: :mrgreen:

Below is what I found doing some research, from this I tried to follow it on Google Maps street view. Figuring like Ed said that everything would be grown over by now, just find it interesting that you can drive this road via Google!

-------

PROPERTY:
The property covered in this report consists of 3 fining claims numbered E.O. 28664, l
28666 and 29634 covering the north half of lots 34, 35 an*! 36 ir Concession l. Township of f
Barrie, in the County of Frontenac, Province of Ontario. Thr property covers an area of approximately
ISO

LOCATION AND ACCESSIBILITY:
The property is located in the southwest comer of Barrie Township about 60 miles
northwest of the City of Kingston. The property is reached over a l 1/2 mile motor road connecting
with Highway No. 41 at a point about 12 miles north of Kaladar on the Canadian Pacific Railway.
Mail and Telephone services are available at the Village of Northbrook situated approx
imately 4 miles by road from the property.
Bruce

quartermaster

Post by quartermaster »

Hi Bruce I work in Kingston and live in Harrowsmith which is about 10 miles north. I know a guy who is a surveyor and I will see if he can help me find the lot(s) on a map. It may take a couple of days. Did you have the name of the old mining company. Something has happened to my keyboard. When I press the shift to get capitals or punctuation, if there is another symbol (in green) I get that instead. Here is what I get when I want a question mark ÉÉÉÉÉ What the HE double hockey sticks. Andrew
Tony

Post by Tony »

It might be interesting to discover what was actually being mined.
If it was either gold or silver, the value of both is going to rise hugely, and possibly quite soon.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
RACEPUMPER

Post by RACEPUMPER »

If gold is going up, superflow stuff will be getting pulled apart everywhere, there must be a ton of gold in their machines due to the pricetag. :D :lol:

Jim
I really love making stuff but don't finish much
RACEPUMPER

Post by RACEPUMPER »

Oh and sorry for swearing on the forum Bruce. The 'S' word just slipped out :roll:

Jim
I really love making stuff but don't finish much