Spam attacks

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM
storm

Spam attacks

Post by storm »

It seems as though spammers are getting through. I know there is a setting where new users must have a certain number of posts approved before they appear for viewing. Are you using that already?
Every job is a self portrait of the person who does it.
Autograph your work with excellence.
Brucepts
Site Admin

Re: Spam attacks

Post by Brucepts »

No, I don't have it setup to approve posts for new users. I try and catch the spammers as I review each new user request personally, I run the email address through a website that is setup for forums to use to track spammers attacking forums other forums share their spammers.

I will also do a Goggle search on a user name and email if it looks "kinda off" to see if they are on other "like minded forums" ie racing/engines related.

Any that end in @ru are not approved! @hotmail accounts are the tough ones if the user name looks ok I get lazy if I am approving from my phone as I don't look them up on my spammer website. Those are the ones that got through.

Sometimes if I can't track any info down on the user I will send them an email and just ask them about flowbenches if they can not formulate a good reply they don't get approved.

Think I might have a look this weekend at setting it up for new user post approval, thanks for putting that thought out there!!!
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .