Motor CFM @28"

Discussion on general flowbench design
jfholm

Re: Motor CFM @28"

Post by jfholm »

I was talking to Malvin and he stated that the total amp load actually decreased the more he ran his bench. We decided that this may have been from the brushes in the motors getting "seated in". I think he said Tony had also stated that to be the case. It may pay to "run" your bench in for awhile at lighter loads until the brushes wear in a little before you start hammering out the test.
rwdford

Post by rwdford »

You are right, I noticed an Ametek motor I was recently testing has "lines" or "ridges" on the end of the new brushes, you can see rings on the armature where the brushes are making contact, this is most likely to gently bed in the brushes

I also watched a video where someone advised running a new vacuum motor at half speed for up to 30 minutes before using them at full speed, that seems a bit excessive but running them for 5 or 10 minutes at half speed is a good idea

The max motor rpm's is pretty amazingly high for the Dyson motors, if my laser tachometer is correct it was showing 32,000rpm at wide open flow

Ametek motors look well put together, I expect they have a long life and are worth the extra investment
Hotz

Post by Hotz »

Slowly adjust the brushes and armature seems logical
Sorry my english mistakes.
PTS Parts>> http://www.flowbenchtech.com/store.html
Malvin

Post by Malvin »

Malvin Wrote
I also check the pot controllers they have 90 volts at them when not being used

I want to correct this I do not have 90 volts at the pot controllers when not being used I zero volts
Sorry for the mistake I made on that guys