Interesting Email

Discussion on general flowbench design
larrycavan

Interesting Email

Post by larrycavan »

I received this in an email...
"Hi Larry,
recently I had a new custom built flow bench built by a xxxxx yyyyyyyy of Z&Z Performance in Australia. It was supplied with your software but I don't seem to be able to get it to work. I can see the Raw data is working so I know its communicating"
:lol: That's not very nice......could have at least asked me if it was OK to be giving my software away.....
Larry C

http://www.cavanaughracing.com
86rocco

Re: Interesting Email

Post by 86rocco »

Just out of curiosity, how did you respond?
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

86rocco wrote:Just out of curiosity, how did you respond?
I'm curious also?

Knowing the individuals involved in this exchange I'm sure it's a misunderstanding on what was "purchased" with the flowbench build. Neither of the two individuals involved has any intent of pirating software I'm sure . . .
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
RACEPUMPER

Post by RACEPUMPER »

This email concerns a bench that I built here in Australia for another forum member.
This is a fucking joke, I bought Larry's software to install into the clients computer and now the final user wants some support.
I have paid Larry his $50 and the program has gone into ONE and the clients computer only.
Thanks for the mention Bruce, I have no intention of pirating anyone's ideas as my own and the client knew that the program was Larrys and not anyone elses.
From now on, I'll just shoot my mouth off before I get all the facts Larry, just like you have.

And to fill in the blanks - Jim Charlton P & P Performance Australia
I really love making stuff but don't finish much
Hotz

Post by Hotz »

Only any little confusion .. Here I only see good guys and honesntos ;)
Sorry my english mistakes.
PTS Parts>> http://www.flowbenchtech.com/store.html
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

Hotz wrote:Only any little confusion .. Here I only see good guys and honesntos ;)
You are correct Paulo, just a misunderstanding -
Tony

Post by Tony »

jfholm wrote:
Hotz wrote:Only any little confusion .. Here I only see good guys and honesntos ;)
You are correct Paulo, just a misunderstanding -
Yup.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
larrycavan

Post by larrycavan »

RACEPUMPER wrote:This email concerns a bench that I built here in Australia for another forum member.
This is a fucking joke, I bought Larry's software to install into the clients computer and now the final user wants some support.
I have paid Larry his $50 and the program has gone into ONE and the clients computer only.
Thanks for the mention Bruce, I have no intention of pirating anyone's ideas as my own and the client knew that the program was Larrys and not anyone elses.
From now on, I'll just shoot my mouth off before I get all the facts Larry, just like you have.

And to fill in the blanks - Jim Charlton P & P Performance Australia
Someone is shooting something..... I'm not convinced the truth is at all what is being laid out here :?

Here's what I know. On 4/13 Jim bought FlowSoftExcel. He's posted up pictures of HIS bench. I could reasonably conclude that he bought the software for himself.

On Sunday morning I get an email from (second party). It states that Jim built a flowbench for him and it came with my software and didn't seem to be working...

I count 2 benches....one software purchase...... What would you conclude?

So Jim....are you running the software on your bench too? Or did you just buy it to put on a customer's bench? Or did you sell that bench to (second party) ...because all indications I'm getting are that there are two benches. I checked my Paypal Accounting. You made one purchase that I see.

If my conclusions are wrong, I will apologize to you. I kept your name out of the post intentionally. You made that public information...NOT ME.

Also what's NOT MENTIONED is that I told (second party) that regardless of the situation I'd be happy to help him get any problems with the software sorted out....even though I do not support or promote the DM any longer.
Last edited by Brucepts on Tue May 20, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I changed the name to (second party)
larrycavan

Post by larrycavan »

86rocco wrote:Just out of curiosity, how did you respond?
Here's where it begins

Hi Larry,
recently I had a new custom built flow bench built by a James Charlton of P&P Performance in Australia. It was supplied with your software but I don't seem to be able to get it to work. I can see the Raw data is working so I know its communicating.

I'm not sure how, but I believe the formulas in cells A1 B1 C1 have been accidentally deleted.

Can you please let me know what should be entered into these cells.

Thanks
(second party)

I replied

(second party),

It would appear that James Charlton is including my software without my authorization or paying me for it. THAT, I DO NOT APPRECIATE.
If you have James Charlton's email address I would like to have it......

However, from what I see in your attached photo, data is coming into the cells. There are no formulas in those cells. They receive data directly from the PTS DM. I see no Velicity readings & can only assume that there is no pitot in at the time the photo was taken.

Larry C.

And that was followed up the next day with

Did you get things working?

If not, explain exactly what is or is not happening and I'll help you get it sorted out.

Larry C.

And I received this back

It was my fault why it wasn't working.
It was because I had the spreadsheet tabs rearranged in a format that better suited me.
I put them back to the original format and it worked fine....
My fuck up ... Sorry

I do have some questions, but I'll put pen to paper and make sure I'm not wasting your time.

Sorry once again for all the confusion
(second party)
Last edited by Brucepts on Tue May 20, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed name to (second party)
larrycavan

Post by larrycavan »

One last thing....

FlowSoftExcel is no longer for sale. There is a free version of an excel based application posted up on this site elsewhere, courtesy of Bruce and Rick. Download it, enhance it, add to it and make it available to others if you so choose.

I still fully embrace and support the Flow Performance FP1 digital manometer. It is the only software you will find on my web site for sale. Having used both the FP1 and the PTSDM for a few years I am in a position to know what works. Both boxes work as advertised. Any claim in opposition would IMO be unjustified or the result of someone doing something wrong.

At some point I expect FlowSoft Basic to mature into the application that has been talked about for a long time now. It takes a lot of work to develop software. Rick put in a lot of effort and if he had more time to devote I'm sure he'd have brought the package to the next level. I expect it will happen eventually.

FlowSoftExcel was never intended to be anything but a gap filler from the beginning. I have a version for myself that does far more than the publicly available version but it ties in with Microsoft Access. Once you get headed down that road it becomes too unmanageable to put in the public sector. Support would be cumbersome at best.

In the very beginning this was all fun and exciting. NOW...it's neither. The time has come for a shift in direction. Things are in first gear as I write this. Hopefully it brings back the interest and excitement that has been lost ...

Some may have the question....Why not just make FSE available as a free download on the site? I thought about that. That would not be fair to those people that had previously paid for it....
Larry C

http://www.cavanaughracing.com