New Guy with navagational qustions and intro

Discussion on general flowbench design
turbo this..

New Guy with navagational qustions and intro

Post by turbo this.. »

Well hello guys, names Josh im a proud Classic Mini owner first mini was my first ever car rebuilt it with help from pop its a 73 clubman the other ive not had long at all its a clubman van

im part way threw building my first flow bench and ive not really got a clue haha but want to get it sorted so i can have a play..

my turbo engine is mostly done full brake down build up with most of the tricks just needs a kick ass head to top it off then its time to enjoy it

so ive had a bit of a look round and cant really find out where the new guy section is with all the dumb questions that have already been asked is?

guess my first question is where/who do i contact about getting a set of test and calibration plated made?

second whats the math to work out the rise and length of the incline manometer? i know the flatter it is the easier it becomes to get good readings but if you draw a right angle how far up and side ways do you go and then what is the non linear spacing i know its not a 1:1 ratio believe the closer down/to wards 100% the more further apart the markings need to be

third where should i get my blower/vacs from?

im an electrician by trade so no probs with that bit

err guess thats about it for now im going to finish the basic box part now and ill post up some pics tonight/ few hours time..

cheers guys josh
RACEPUMPER

Re: New Guy with navagational qustions and intro

Post by RACEPUMPER »

Where are you Josh?
And welcome!

Jim
I really love making stuff but don't finish much
turbo this..

Post by turbo this.. »

Im a bit outside brisbane i see your vic/nsw border

cheers lol something to eat then back out to finish the basic box
RACEPUMPER

Post by RACEPUMPER »

Haha you sounded Aussie, look up www.rossbrownsales.com.au for your vac motors, everything else you get off Bruce who runs this forum, Orifice plates, probes, electronics etc. He's the best value with after sales service which go way beyond.
I'm not into water gauges in the slightest, but go to the formula and spreadsheet section for your inclined mano questions.
Another good move is to buy Bruce's plans. Even if your building to a different design it will help with flowbench understanding and you gain access to a locked forum section which is very valuable.

Jim
turbo this..

Post by turbo this.. »

thanks errr maby a silly question but i think im planing on testing at 28" and i think id want about 2-300cfm for my needs this works out if im correct to be two blower each with a 1.75" hole before or should that be after? to make the 34" and 240cfm but is that actually what the thing will flow ? bloody flow bench will need its own beaker in the shop... 15-16amps :lol:

http://www.rossbrownsales.com.au/files/ ... asheet.pdf

well here are a few pics not that it looks like much..

i cut the ends and started on the vertical manometer just need to mark the scale at half inch increments and label as inches

ill check out that table thingy for the incline one and get that started soon

ohh ive gotten some caster under the thing now as well only three as the shop floor isnt flat.. :roll: dont what it rocking

the flow plate will go on the small box and the pressure tubes will go two in the small box and one in the lower large bit

not sure what ill do for air bleeds pretty simple tho i think.. just gotta leak air into/out of the box

turbo this..

Post by turbo this.. »

quick one for the incline manometer..

ive found the calculator and put in my length now this length is the tube? or the horizontal plane?

how dose this tell what angle?

also do i measure the calced distance on the tube or the horizontal plain?

sorry if its really dumb.. its just not clicking as to how i get the layout and markings its all good to say i want 12" rise and 36" horizantal plain but then do i mark the scale on the 36" horizantal plane then use a set squre to intercect the tube?

or do i simply messure the tube length what ever angle its at and punch that in then messure the calculated incremnts along the tube?

think ill put the cash for the bild plans into the flow plates or motors the intent is a cheep bench lol that will let me grind with some kind of concistancy port to port..
RACEPUMPER

Post by RACEPUMPER »

Those 172 motors are a fairly expensive option, have you priced them?
They flow great and draw some amps but if your only running 2 motors a 15 amp may cut it. If you can soft start or turn on one at a time I think it would be ok.
What delta p will you work on? Add this to your test pressure when looking at flow specs if it's an orifice bench like in flowbench 101. The pictures are not quite enough for me to fully understand the design.
Keep it up, but to speed up your understanding buy the plans Josh, it really is a proven design and gives fantastic repeatability and accuracy.

Jim
Tony

Post by Tony »

Hi Josh, welcome to the Forum.

Agree with Jim, the very best first step in all this would be to order a set of flow bench plans from Bruce, here at the Forum.
That will also gain you access to an extended part of the Forum you cannot now see.
There you will find many threads with many pictures of flow benches other Forum members have built, at all stages of construction.
And those threads are just packed full of ideas.
There are now over 250 flow benches in operation all around the world, many of them right here in Australia.

That will get you started.
Most people now go straight to building a fully electronic bench with no water manometers.
The electronics are not that expensive, and building water manometers is a lot more work, and a lot more difficult to use, but that entirely is up to you. There is plenty of help here at the Forum to do it either way.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Post by Tony »

turbo this.. wrote:quick one for the incline manometer..

ive found the calculator and put in my length now this length is the tube? or the horizontal plane?

how dose this tell what angle?

also do i measure the calced distance on the tube or the horizontal plain?
Josh, the idea is that the pressure drop you are measuring raises the water level in the manometer tube.
If the pressure is (for example) sixteen inches, then the water rises sixteen inches regardless of the slope in the tube.

Its not the angle that matters, but how high the high end is above the low end.
The manometer tube can be made any length that is convenient.
If the manometer tube could be thirty inches long, 1000mm long, or four feet long.
If the high end is sixteen inches above the low end, the water will travel the full length of the tube, no matter how long it is.

In fact, once you have built your bench, you calibrate the flow by using a calibration orifice and adjust the manometer slope to get the correct reading on the flow scale.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Hotz

Post by Hotz »

Welcome Josh ...
This cylinder head (photo) is a Ford Rocan?
Paul.
Sorry my english mistakes.
PTS Parts>> http://www.flowbenchtech.com/store.html