New Member - First Post w/ Questions

Discussion on general flowbench design
BradH

New Member - First Post w/ Questions

Post by BradH »

On Friday I received my P.A.P. set and the PTS flowbench plans. :D

On Sunday, while running my current SF-110 for (apparently) too long continuously while trying to map the velocities on an intake port I'm working on, it appears I toasted a motor (or 2) based on the now-present burnt smell any time I start it. :(

Since I view the PTS flowbench project as a more long-term activity, I'm faced w/ replacing the intake motors in my lil' 110 in the mean time.

*** Are there any interchangeable motors from what the bench was built with (pre-2000, when I bought it as a really low-use used unit) that could provide any more capacity for the short term? ***

FWIW, my test pressures vary w/ the flow rate, considering the limitations of the SF-110 bench:
0 to ~ 175 at 15"
~ 175 to ~ 225 at 13"
~ 225 to ~ 275 at 10"
~ 275 to ~ 320 at 8" or 9" (depends upon the port)
~ 320+ at 7"

The second bit of info is how my bench compared to the P.A.P. set. Using the correction factor that results from testing my bench w/ the SF-supplied test plate vs. their expected results, my calculations reflect a 1.035 increase over the "raw" flow results, in addition to what ever corrections I have to apply to the various test pressures my results are generated at to standardize them at 28".

PTS Plate v. My calc'd & corrected #
100 CFM == 98.4
200 CFM == 195.7
300 CFM == 292.9

So, my bench reads approx. 2% lower than PTS's calibration plates.

Also, these values are taken w/o applying any change to the "raw" data for the temperature delta between the upper & lower thermometers. Although I've read where the design of the SF-110 requires adjusting the reading for this (as I interpret it, reducing the intake #s by some % or increasing the exhaust #s), my temp delta after the machine completes it's standard warm-up cycle is consistently in the 26*-30* range.

Thanks,
Brad
BradH

Re: New Member - First Post w/ Questions

Post by BradH »

I've added a more detailed post re: the replacement motor options for my SF-110 under the "Flowbench Air Movers" forum:
http://www.flowbenchtech.com/forum/view ... =15&t=1084

All feedback is appreciated!

Brad
Tony

Post by Tony »

Welcome to the Forum Brad.
Most of us here have built our own flow benches from scratch, and have little or no experience with working on the the insides of an SF bench, so don't be too surprised at the lack of response to your questions.

I have no idea what motors would be a direct physical fit, but that would be the approach I would take.
Keep your SF bench as original as possible, for sale later on, when you ge your new bench up and running.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
larrycavan

Post by larrycavan »

BradH wrote:On Friday I received my P.A.P. set and the PTS flowbench plans. :D

On Sunday, while running my current SF-110 for (apparently) too long continuously while trying to map the velocities on an intake port I'm working on, it appears I toasted a motor (or 2) based on the now-present burnt smell any time I start it. :(

Since I view the PTS flowbench project as a more long-term activity, I'm faced w/ replacing the intake motors in my lil' 110 in the mean time.

*** Are there any interchangeable motors from what the bench was built with (pre-2000, when I bought it as a really low-use used unit) that could provide any more capacity for the short term? ***

FWIW, my test pressures vary w/ the flow rate, considering the limitations of the SF-110 bench:
0 to ~ 175 at 15"
~ 175 to ~ 225 at 13"
~ 225 to ~ 275 at 10"
~ 275 to ~ 320 at 8" or 9" (depends upon the port)
~ 320+ at 7"

The second bit of info is how my bench compared to the P.A.P. set. Using the correction factor that results from testing my bench w/ the SF-supplied test plate vs. their expected results, my calculations reflect a 1.035 increase over the "raw" flow results, in addition to what ever corrections I have to apply to the various test pressures my results are generated at to standardize them at 28".

PTS Plate v. My calc'd & corrected #
100 CFM == 98.4
200 CFM == 195.7
300 CFM == 292.9

So, my bench reads approx. 2% lower than PTS's calibration plates.

Also, these values are taken w/o applying any change to the "raw" data for the temperature delta between the upper & lower thermometers. Although I've read where the design of the SF-110 requires adjusting the reading for this (as I interpret it, reducing the intake #s by some % or increasing the exhaust #s), my temp delta after the machine completes it's standard warm-up cycle is consistently in the 26*-30* range.

Thanks,
Brad
There are motors available. My buddy burned up one in his 110 a few years back and replaced it. Not a difficult job.

As for flow comparison / accuracy of one plate vs another.....don't bog yourself down too much on that deal. Pay far more attention to what you see in before / after results on your heads......THAT is what matters and THAT is all that matters. Download the PAP results.....you'll see pretty quickly how much benches vary...
Larry C

http://www.cavanaughracing.com