Suitability of 18mm Laminated Board for PTS Build?

Discussion on general flowbench design
Neddy

Suitability of 18mm Laminated Board for PTS Build?

Post by Neddy »

Hi,

I can get from work (for free) 18mm laminated board. Pics attached. Any advice on suitability for PTS flow bench?

Google is telling that what I have may be melamine particle board, and that particle board may not be as strong as MDF but there appears to be many factors.

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1960FL

Re: Suitability of 18mm Laminated Board for PTS Build?

Post by 1960FL »

yes this is Melamine board so it is a little courser product that makes up the substrate than MDV that said the melamine laminate will provide a perfect air seal eliminating the need to paint the interior. I would suggest that if you made a nice skeleton within the bench (Framework) of say 1 X 1 glued thought the corners and "X" the flat panels it would be plenty strong for what we do at 28", if you plan on testing higher you may want to think different.

Rick,
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

Neddy,
I in fact made my first one from this. I made just the chamber side and plumbed in two shop vacuums just to see if it would work. It worked very nicely. Like Rick said though make a frame work if you are going to use very high pressure with it.

John
Neddy

Post by Neddy »

Appreciate the replies. I think I'll give it a go, perhaps with a little reinforcement.
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

Any part of the build that sees airflow and is just raw particle board should be sealed with paint so it does not leak air. This would apply to the passages within the flowbench design.
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
ivanhoew

Post by ivanhoew »

this what i used for my bench , in fact i think it was little thinner , it was old kitchen cupboard doors .appears to work perfectly with a 2 by 3 at the joins.
medusa assembled..first drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKMvQQm7Cn4&t=5s
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

ivanhoew wrote:this what i used for my bench , in fact i think it was little thinner , it was old kitchen cupboard doors .appears to work perfectly with a 2 by 3 at the joins.
Robert is that a metric or Imperial measurement ;)
ivanhoew

Post by ivanhoew »

imperial john lol.

and im off to Vancouver for Christmas , so you have just reminded of the weirdness that is buying a 2 by 4 ,and getting a 1.75 by 3.75 ..
medusa assembled..first drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKMvQQm7Cn4&t=5s
bigblock57

Post by bigblock57 »

Just be aware to make ajustments in the plan dimentions to allow for the difference in thickness of the material.