New member wanting to build a somewhat tight budget bench

Discussion on general flowbench design
c4mo

New member wanting to build a somewhat tight budget bench

Post by c4mo »

Hi,
I came to this forum after hearing about it on speedtalk a few years back, and recently decided to join. I realize what i'm interested in has been discussed many times over, but i'm unsure of what to search for. In time i plan to buy the pts plans and build a bench that is able to test heads at higher depressions. At the moment i would like to see what i could learn with my 6.5 shopvac and some manometers. The heads i will be testing will mostly be sbc stuff. Currently i have in my possession the audie flow bench design booklet and also the small hyperflow bench manual. I have basically everything i need build the hyperflow, but not yet the ability to make the venturi sensors it specifies. I've also seen the use of maf sensors to read airflow and am somewhat interested in the concept.
If someone could post some links, or let me know what terms to search for it would give me a better start. Thanks for any help.
jfholm

Re: New member wanting to build a somewhat tight budget benc

Post by jfholm »

I have used flow benches since 1974. Used numerous types etc. Bruce's design is by far the best! Just start by buying a set of his plans. I built just the chamber side and deleted the motor side to test the first one. I plumbed in two 6.5 HP shop vacuums. It worked great and was spot on and repeatable. With two shop vacuums I could only pull 12" H2O through a good set of Small Block Chevy heads. But to start you could do like I did and get working and gain an understanding of how a bench works. I will attach some photos of my firs go round, just keep in mind it is rough looking. :D

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tony

Re: New member wanting to build a somewhat tight budget benc

Post by Tony »

Welcome to the Forum c4mo.

John is spot on.
First thing get yourself a set of Flow bench plans from Bruce (who runs this Forum).
As you already have the shop vac and the manometers, its easiest to just build the flow measurement side of the bench as John did.
It need not win a beauty contest to work perfectly, but you will learn a very great deal in the process, and it will get you started and then be able to do some repeatable airflow testing.

Everything you need in the way of sourcing parts, help, or advice, is right here on the Forum.
All of us here were once at the stage you are now at,
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.