CFD your Flow Bench

Discussion on general flowbench design
schmidtmotorworks

CFD your Flow Bench

Post by schmidtmotorworks »

I thought this might be interesting to some here because you worry about the flow path toward the orifice plate.

CFD a Flow Bench

I was given a flow bench recently and needed to make some modifications to it so that

1. It could flow a 600 CFM head.
2. It had orifice plates for each 100 CFM
3. The plates could be changed quickly and easily

It was one of those MSD style benches with the large angled disk with 6 orifice sizes in it.
It was very nicely made but I didn't like the angled orifice below the cylinder and the holes were too small.
So I made a device that I can slide in orifice plates from the front and changed the shape of the plenum.

I was wondering what the trajectory of the air was from the cylinder to the orifice plate so I decided to CFD it.

Here it is from the side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by schmidtmotorworks on Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
schmidtmotorworks

Re: CFD your Flow Bench

The reason for doing this was I thought it might be better to put a baffle like this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tweaks

Post by tweaks »

Welcome to the Forum Jon ..looking forward to your contributions on here

Cheers
Lyndsay
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

Jon,

Welcome, I know I am not telling you anything you don't already know but as you expected the baffle in the CFD in my opinion has made a great improvement toward the benches ability to be consistent, most importantly the Orifice plates used inside the bench maintaining a consistent CD. Screen shot 1 looks to have poor flow pattern out of the orifice and potential for turbulence interfering on the exit side thus affecting the CD. My next concern would be if and when this bench ran in the exhaust mode just what affect that sloped panel will have in the upper chamber on air exiting the orifice.

This is great stuff, makes me want to put the PTS design in CFD

Rick
Malvin

Post by Malvin »

1960FL

Its already been done Link Below
http://www.flowbenchtech.com/forum/view ... 060#p12060
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

Malvin wrote:
1960FL

Its already been done Link Below
http://www.flowbenchtech.com/forum/view ... 060#p12060
That CFD link will only be visible to those who purchased the PTS Plans sorry to say as it shows the internal areas of the flowbench design.
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
schmidtmotorworks

I was going to offer to do the PTS if anyone needed it, but it sounds like you already have it covered.

Lots of good info here.
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

Jon, You have a great deal of experience with CFD if we could get you a sketch would you be interested in doing a multi view Diagram?

Rick
DaveMcLain

Post by DaveMcLain »

What does the CFD simulation look like with the flow going the other direction through the bench?
saltfever

Post by saltfever »

schmidtmotorworks wrote:The reason for doing this was I thought it might be better to put a baffle like this.
Did the baffle ever get installed? And did it have the anticipated effect?