Helgeson Calibration plate. anyone built and tested it?

Discussion on general flowbench design
Bakerlite

Helgeson Calibration plate. anyone built and tested it?

Post by Bakerlite »

I'm thinking I may have some time to experiment with the Floating depression test bench I have.
I think to continue the testing along with what has been published on the net, I'm going to need a Helgesen type calibration plate. So, has anyone made and tested one here ?
1960FL

Re: Helgeson Calibration plate. anyone built and tested it?

Post by 1960FL »

Not sure why you need this special plate, if you are trying to compare this type bench to others why not use the same type calibration plate. A PTS sharp edge orifice plate will consistently flow at a .62 CD, i am sure you could get Bruce to make a couple in the sizes you want and actually flow them at a couple depressions (5,10,15,20,25) for you then could build accurate factors for correction.

Rick
Bakerlite

Post by Bakerlite »

What I'm doing is testing what has been published on the net and in publications about this bench. That's the reason why I built one. After seeing people argue about it without actually building and testing it, I figured it was time to see what it could or couldn't do, once an for all. Since this plate was used as the tool to calibrate the bench, I feel I should also test it's ability to perform or not perform as claimed. Since this is a forum about building and testing flowbenches and parts , I figured someone here would have made one out of interest and could give me some test results.
Malvin

Post by Malvin »

Here you go Picture & the Size of holes :)
Looks really simple to make :)

I have watched a few videos where a guy had one of these built & flowed he had way more money in then
it is worth you could buy a copy of the PTS Flow Bench pass around calibration plates for less money you
would get a 100 CFM @28" A 200 CFM @ 28" A 300 CFM @28" You would be way head for less money for Calibration Plates 3 of them :)

These holes need to be machined to a very smooth surface. Make tolerances as accurate as possible (+/0.001 is acceptable). The hole sizes and X-Y coordinates are:
• Hole 5: 0.210 Dia. on 4.30/3.40 inches
• Hole 10: 0.296 Dia. on 3.95/4.10 inches
• Hole 20: 0.419 Dia. on 3.05/4.30 inches
• Hole 40: 0.594 Dia. on 2.10/3.80 inches
• Hole 80: 0.840 Dia. on 2.05/2.5 inches
• Hole 160: 1.185 Dia. on 3.70/2.40 inches
Radius entry for all holes is 0.25 inch. This is machined so that the edge of the radius goes out to 80 degrees, not the full 90. The back of the 5 and 10 size holes must be chamfered with a 90-degree cutter. The 5-hole chamfer should be 0.460-inch diameter and 0.546 for the 10 hole.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bakerlite

Post by Bakerlite »

Thanks for the info Malvin, but I already have all of that.
saltfever

Post by saltfever »

Thanks for posting the information Malvin, because I don't have it. ;)
Bakerlite

Post by Bakerlite »

Are you going to make one Saltfever?
Malvin

Post by Malvin »

Bakerlite

Have you built this floating depression flow bench ?? If not Please do build it & Post up
pictures of the build & let the world see how this flow bench works from what I have read
it only cost $ 75.00 to build
saltfever

Post by saltfever »

Bakerlite wrote:Are you going to make one Saltfever?
Not sure yet. Collecting information for a project that may be 2 years away. Thanks for the post and raising the subject.
Bakerlite

Post by Bakerlite »

Malvin wrote:Bakerlite

Have you built this floating depression flow bench ?? If not Please do build it & Post up
pictures of the build & let the world see how this flow bench works from what I have read
it only cost $ 75.00 to build
I posted some initial test results for this type of bench , on this forum back in 2012. Needless to say after I posted the results, there was not much interest in the thread. I've got about $20 in this bench so far. Here's a plate made from chip board, I can't believe how close it is to right numbers for each hole.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.