Helgeson Calibration plate. anyone built and tested it?

Discussion on general flowbench design
Bakerlite

Re: Helgeson Calibration plate. anyone built and tested it?

Post by Bakerlite »

Good, at least you won't be wasting my time anymore.
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

Bakerlite wrote:but it would be nice to know if anyone had some data and could shed some light on whether it actually worked accurately or not.
I think the lack of replies so far would give you an idea that nobody so far has any data to offer and is doing any testing of this design. Personally, I have not heard of any of these being built and being used. Even the guy that is suppose to make these plates to sell has any to offer on his website unless that has changed in the past year or two.

I would try tracking down Vizard on some of the automotive forums and try discussing it with him, it's his design and he could possibly offer some data. I don't think he comes here to this forum unless he is using an assumed username and email address.
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
Bakerlite

Post by Bakerlite »

Thankyou Bruce, I thought I would throw it out there and see if anyone had fooled around with one. If no one answers the post then that's fine.That answers the question. I just get peeved when I have to sift through unrelated responses to the topic.
Anyway, my concern is, that the holes when uncovered together would have an influence on each other and affect the accuracy . I guess I'll machine one up and see.
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

Bakerlite wrote:
Malvin wrote:Bakerlite

Have you built this floating depression flow bench ?? If not Please do build it & Post up
pictures of the build & let the world see how this flow bench works from what I have read
it only cost $ 75.00 to build
I posted some initial test results for this type of bench , on this forum back in 2012. Needless to say after I posted the results, there was not much interest in the thread. I've got about $20 in this bench so far. Here's a plate made from chip board, I can't believe how close it is to right numbers for each hole.

Bakerlite,

In the interest of the topic could you tell me how did you test this plate you machined to get the flow numbers stated? and how was that machine calibrated? For my own interest I have the book and will machine a plate when I have time then compare it against a standard.

As for your concern about the flow of one hole interfering with the next the plenum behind the plate would need to follow the rules of an orifice in a pipe.

Please post more picks of your project, I am interested in your results.

Rick
Bakerlite

Post by Bakerlite »

That chip board plate is not mine, I found that one on the net. I'll post some pics and more data once I make the plate and test it. I've got access to a SF 600, so the first step would be to see how accurate it is based solely on the dimensions given. Once I'm done with that the next step would be to flow a head, compare it to the sf 600, then modify the port and compare it again. I have some other tests in mind that I will do along the way. Remember, this is to soley test what has been written and check it's validity.
larrycavan

Post by larrycavan »

Bakerlite wrote:That chip board plate is not mine, I found that one on the net. I'll post some pics and more data once I make the plate and test it. I've got access to a SF 600, so the first step would be to see how accurate it is based solely on the dimensions given. Once I'm done with that the next step would be to flow a head, compare it to the sf 600, then modify the port and compare it again. I have some other tests in mind that I will do along the way. Remember, this is to soley test what has been written and check it's validity.

I read this whole thread. If you have access to a 600SF, then what's the problem? Punch some holes, test them on the 600 and you're off and running. If all you're trying to discover is if the bench is useful, then that's truly all you need to do. The only reason you need to duplicate that Helgeson plate would if you were trying to validate it's accuracy.....

Certainly one of those floating depression benches would be better than nothing and the dollar store level investment could be appealing to some people for certain projects. But when a road is not traveled by the deliberate avoidance of the masses.... it's because it's either not a smooth ride to begin with or it doesn't get you to the destination you were headed for.... JMO
Larry C

http://www.cavanaughracing.com
Bakerlite

Post by Bakerlite »

larrycavan wrote:
But when a road is not traveled by the deliberate avoidance of the masses.... it's because it's either not a smooth ride to begin with or it doesn't get you to the destination you were headed for.... JMO
Or... people make comments like this, and turn others away from the concept. After starting this project, I wouldn't say I've had a lot of encouragement along the way, in fact it's been quite the opposite. Your discouragement above is just an example of that.

The SF 600 isn't exactly next door to me.. and some how I don't think it's going to be as easy as "punching some holes" . After all if it was that easy I'm sure more people here would have made and tested one out of curiosity.
larrycavan

Post by larrycavan »

Oh... so you "sort of" have access to a real bench.. You didn't say that before.

One thing puzzles me though. You've publically criticized a couple of guys, telling them they were wasting your time.... yet you fail to recognize that was their intention to begin with....to keep your from wasting your time.

There's nothing more I can offer either. I'm going out and play hockey while we still have ice...I know what you mean about warnings....who needs them ;)

[attachment=0]download.jpg[/attachment
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Larry C

Bakerlite

Post by Bakerlite »

Sort of? What exactly does that mean???
I either have access to the bench or not. Right?
When you go to the beach , do you "sort of" have access? Because it's not on your door step and maybe 100 miles away? Pfffttt..
No puzzles Larry, yet I'm sure your life is full of them. I asked about the Plate, not for help or advice on what bench I should be building or what project I should be spending my free spare time on. I've been here for a number of years, the PTS bench is no mystery to me..
You know, if you wandered into a science lab, and then proceeded to tell the scientist he was wasting his time and he should be doing something completely different , what sort of reaction do you think you would get?
Probably not a favorable one....

Anyway, I think this thread has run it's course. I'll pop back when I have some data on the plate.
larrycavan

Post by larrycavan »

Best of luck with it
Larry C