Added two motors to a Superflow 600

Discussion on general flowbench design
John Haskell

Re: Added two motors to a Superflow 600

Post by John Haskell »

Finally got into the bench to go over everything. The first thing was to check that all the motors were running the same direction because there had been some re-wireing due to differing wire colors from the original motors versus the new (2) motors. The electrician believed he had it right & when tested, they're all running the same direction. The input voltage is 231 & runs at that. The total amperage used is 46.7 wide open, which 37 is factory with the 8 motors.

The voltage going through the motor control was 99 % + of the line voltage so there was no voltage loss at all.

The guys then made an inspection tool to check each motor for vacuum draw, consisting of a flow-meter, a regular tapered 2-1/6" rubber plug, drilled for a piece of flexible tubing with a restrictor inside.

With the motors running at maybe 20%, each motor was covered at the opening with the rubber stopper.. A reading was taken finding all the draw was identical w/the 2 new motors 1 cfm. improved. ( 15 cfm. scale). ------ That was enough for all 4 of us to settle on eliminating the motors for variation. -------- The reason why more pressure wasn't used was the capacity of the flow-meter range including the amount of vacuum flowing around the fellows arm & shoulder as he reached inside the case.

We removed the box & made a test, No changes. I did bring up with the fellas about the pipe connecting into the left side plenum. It was undecided.

So, actually there DOES NOT have to be a pipe connection to the left side plenum.?

I'le keep you posted.
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

John,

I have several ideas here but first we need to be testing the bench performance and not with a head.

Please remove the head and fixture so that the bench opening is exposed, make usre you are on the largest scale orifice. Make sure the flow control vavle is fully opend and the flow direction fully seated to intake mode. Then use a flat plate to cover the majority of the opening on top of the bench start the bench, once the preasure stabalized at 28" begin to slide the plate making the opening bigger and bigger until the motors can no longer hold 28". move the plate to a position that is right at the point where you are maximim flow at 28" take your incline reading.

What is this number? this will get us what the maximum unrestricted flow rate is and get us started on where the problem is.

Rick
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

John, Any update on this issue?
John Haskell

Post by John Haskell »

All stop on this for bit. My wife has had some vision symptoms which turned out to be a brain anurism while I was discussing this, so I have other things going on. She is doing fine but that is not the end of it yet. As soon as I can , I will check back.
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

John, All is fine Family comes first in my book, are thoughts are with you.

Rick