dyson motors

Discussion on general flowbench design
86rocco

Re: dyson motors

Post by 86rocco »

Tony wrote:Hotz,
But its also 14 Amps x 8 motors or 112 very scary total amps.

Just for fun, I worked out it would cost me about $11.00 in electricity (26.9Kw x 41c) per hour to run those motors flat out where I am.
Its an excellent example of why even slightly more efficient motors are well worth the trouble finding.
Tony, we're talking about 110v motors aren't we? In which case, it would be 12.3 kW.

Anyways, I'm floored by how much you're paying for electricity. My area has among the highest rates in Canada and I pay between 8¢ and 16.1¢ per kWh depending on time of day.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Its confusing, Hotz wrote this:
1600/220=7,545 amperes per second.
1Ls=2.11888 CFM where 53ls = 112,30064 CFM per engine, or 14,03 per Amperes.

Adding to eight engines: 898,40 CFM. I calculating an engine operating simultaneously set loss of 20% to 25% efficiency.
The correct figure is 7.545 amps per motor not the 14.03 amps he mentions in the second sentence.
14 Amps x 8 x 220v =24.64 Kw which is what I assumed.

Yes electricity here is expensive by world standards, but that 41 cents per Kwh is the total cost which includes the service charge which must be paid even if consumption is zero.
As I use little electricity, typically about 2Kwh/day in summer and 4Kwh/day in winter the cost per Kwh is very high.

But here we have about the cheapest natural gas anywhere in the world. Its used for heating, cooking, and hot water so electricity consumption is kept low.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Hotz

Post by Hotz »

Tony
I'm sorry, that my English is bad.
14 CFM per amper X 8 Amperes = 112CFM motor
My engines are 220V 8 ampers or more precisely 7.545 seconds mathematics.
My eight engines will consume 64 Amperes.

Here my three-phase mode with residential rates is charged US $ 0.19 per 1-kWh. This year it had 35% adjustment.
My government does not know where else to steal the population
Sorry my english mistakes.
PTS Parts>> http://www.flowbenchtech.com/store.html
RACEPUMPER

Post by RACEPUMPER »

Your electricity cost is ok Hotz, ours in Australia is 80% more expensive. Like Tony I'm sure, I try to remember to unplug. We receive bills every 3 months, at home, mine is usually around $400 US dollars ( that's without heating ) and at the workshop ( no heating, but plenty of welding ) its more like $800 - $1000 US dollars. The large take away food shop near my workshop was paying $13,000 US per 3 months but fitted solar last year. Solar is pretty big here but the usual way it works is what you generate goes back into the electricity grid, then they credit you at a lower rate than they charge, rarely is it an independent system. ( Correct me if I'm wrong here Tony )

Hotz wrote:My government does not know where else to steal the population
Just like here they could start with politicians salaries and benefits Hotz!

Jim
Last edited by RACEPUMPER on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I really love making stuff but don't finish much
Tony

Post by Tony »

Actual cost per Kwh here is 23.65 cents.
The service charge is 1.06 dollars per day fixed.

If I use 4Kwh, just the electricity comes to 94.6 cents + 1.06 service charge equals 2.00 dollars per day exactly.
Total cost per Kw 50.0 cents.

We are just coming out of the coldest winter in 20 years, and my monthly average right now is 41c per KWH because I am using more than the 4Kwh per day calculated above, and more works out cheaper per Kwh.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Hotz

Post by Hotz »

Hotz wrote:My government does not know where else to steal the population
Just like here they could start with politicians salaries and benefits Hotz!

Jim
These politicians do not even like to talk, today unfortunately I'm starting to be ashamed of my country ... or better to be Brazilian.
We are going through a shameful crisis will worsen next year, everything is very difficult here mainly with the dollar rate of US $ 3.90 for Real (my money).

Sorry damunk for polluting your topic.
RACEPUMPER

Post by RACEPUMPER »

Hotz wrote:Sorry damunk for polluting your topic.
x2 :D

But let us know how you go with motor choice, as previously mentioned, take your time and research hard

Jim
I really love making stuff but don't finish much
damunk

Post by damunk »

I am going for the below:
ametekmotor.jpg
Main reasons why:
1) It says it is genuine ametek. Something tells me it's not but have to trust what it says on the listing.
2) Low wattage: 1000w - If 4 motors then 4000w max which I can cope with (I am using it on a 1.4 litre head so I am assuming 150-200CFM is max required. Surely even with 4 bad motors it's sufficient flow.
4) 230v - UK use.
5) It's cheap as chips: £28.75 including postage) to UK.
5) Wet & Dry - Not sure what that means but with carburetor tuning - would this help?
6) It's double stage - Read on forums that doube stage CAN better than single stage.

I will buy just one and see what it is capable of. Or is it just worth going for the whole hog of 4. The project might take 6-8 months and worried about not having the same 4 motors later down the line.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
storm

Post by storm »

Is there a part number?
I think you are rushing into this, based on what you have written, and I think you will regret it later.
Every job is a self portrait of the person who does it.
Autograph your work with excellence.
Hotz

Post by Hotz »

The engine is for vacuum cleaners working for liquids (Wet) and solids (Dry).
that is have insulation electric motor / turbine to be able to aspire water.