What kind of silicone sealer do you use?

Discussion on general flowbench design
storm

Re: What kind of silicone sealer do you use?

Post by storm »

Hotz it's ok to disagree we all learn when we discuss things that we have a mutual interest in.

I just wonder if, or when, you will paint the inside?
Every job is a self portrait of the person who does it.
Autograph your work with excellence.
Hotz

Post by Hotz »

Michael my idea is simple, assembling slowly and gradually painting.
The option to paint after this related to the development and learning is easier.

But his idea to paint the pieces before this right to those who follow the strictly PTS plans or have an intimate knowledge of the project. It is not my case I'm already changing some details.

John Doney remember here we discuss ideas for better construction based on this information you choose the best possible way to build your FB. We do not own the truth but DIYs guys trying their best. :)

It is a matter of choice. ;)
Sorry my english mistakes.
PTS Parts>> http://www.flowbenchtech.com/store.html
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

For ease of construction, I painted all my panels inside first before assembly. Some have masked off the areas that get glued before painting. Be aware of using water based paint on MDF! I've not tried water based paint.

I used yellow wood glue between joints, applied with an acid brush for a thin coat.

After assembly I sealed all joints with an adhesive sealant (as posted in my reply above) and smoothed the sealant with a wet finger. I have discussed this with a few cabinet makers and it's what they suggested for this type of build.

Some have painted the inside after assembly. I'd be afraid of not getting it all covered? But, that's just me :D

My first build I used drywall screws, I now use cabinet screws. From research they are less prone to breaking during install and use. All holes are pre-drilled and the first panel that the screw goes through was drilled for clearance and countersunk. You can buy a drill that does both in one operation. I purchased a drill depth stop attachment for a couple of $$'s so all my holes would be the same depth that I now use.

I've encountered nobody having any serious issues with a build not working doing how every they have done it. Small leaks here and there which they had to track down after it was finished.

Outside of my cabinet was painted using Rustoleum with a foam roller. I did not thin it out, if I did it again I would thin it some, I had to sand it between coats it had a course texture. But, it came out really really nice, seems to be very durable and it was cheap to do for an excellent finish! I used around 1 quart of paint and put on 3-4 coats?

Some builds have been "wrapped", professionally painted, brush painted, roller painted or not painted outside. All move air which is what they are suppose to do, it's not a classic show car. I understand the attention to detail though some put in to this project!

Keep in mind the INSIDE needs to be painted or it's going to leak air!!
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
Hotz

Post by Hotz »

Said the master .. nothing more to add .. ;)
Sorry my english mistakes.
PTS Parts>> http://www.flowbenchtech.com/store.html
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

Hotz wrote:Said the master .. nothing more to add .. ;)
Not the "master" just built a few of these and have learned as I went along. :D

My original PTS Flowbench has been working now for quite a few years now with no issues and it was really was built on the "cheap"
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
storm

Post by storm »

Hotz wrote:The option to paint after this related to the development and learning is easier.
I totally understand you reasoning.
Every job is a self portrait of the person who does it.
Autograph your work with excellence.
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

it's not a classic show car
But you still should try to have some attention to detail minor errors may add up in the end.

Rick
Malvin

Post by Malvin »

960FL
But you still should try to have some attention to detail minor errors may add up in the end.

X2

Attention to detail is very important to me :D
John Doney

Post by John Doney »

Thanks for the input everybody. I really appreciate all of your help and advice! This is uncharted territory for me, so I'm just trying to get my bearings as I go along.