What kind of silicone sealer do you use?

Discussion on general flowbench design
John Doney

What kind of silicone sealer do you use?

Post by John Doney »

I was wondering if there was a certain kind of silicone sealer that people had good luck with? I'm familiar with permatex ultra black/ gray, but have never tried to use them on wood (mdf).

Any tips?
RACEPUMPER

Re: What kind of silicone sealer do you use?

Post by RACEPUMPER »

Hey John, If its permanent use liquid nails, if you need to split it later, use what you mentioned

Jim
I really love making stuff but don't finish much
storm

Post by storm »

I agree with Jim with regards to Liquid Nails. However if it isn't permanent I'd use something like Selleys Bathroom sealant because it works on wood, plasterboard, tiles, glass, perspex, and aluminium just to name a few.
Every job is a self portrait of the person who does it.
Autograph your work with excellence.
RACEPUMPER

Post by RACEPUMPER »

storm wrote:I agree with Jim with regards to Liquid Nails. However if it isn't permanent I'd use something like Selleys Bathroom sealant because it works on wood, plasterboard, tiles, glass, perspex, and aluminium just to name a few.
You can't go past Liquid nails, it kicks ass, but if you have to disassemble anything, its stronger than MDF or ply so get the tissues ready.

The bathroom sealant sounds like a good option, I haven't used it on wood personally but its sticks like you know what to bathroom tiles and glass. Any experience, is it reasonable to remove off wood?

If its something I need to remove, I personally use a universal automotive rubber door seal cut to length then glued on with super glue. ( Not $2 stuff, quality CA like Loctite etc ) I once used high density foam, but like Bruce I found it gets sucked in over time. I glue a ring of door seal on the motor faces too. You've just got to pay attention to the joint to avoid leaks, but once you've done it right, it makes servicing a breeze.

Just have a good think about items or areas you may have to access in the future.

Jim
I really love making stuff but don't finish much
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

I recommend this on my builds.

Comes in a smaller tube instead of the caulking tube also which I like better.

Phenoseal Vinyl-Adhesive-Caulk

I use this to seal the outside of my joints and regular wood glue for the end of the panels.
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
John Doney

Post by John Doney »

Thanks for the help guys!
storm

Post by storm »

RACEPUMPER wrote:The bathroom sealant sounds like a good option, I haven't used it on wood personally but its sticks like you know what to bathroom tiles and glass. Any experience, is it reasonable to remove off wood?
If the wood is painted, properly so the wood itself is sealed, it is fine. If the wood is bare or not painted properly it wont work well and will be difficult to get off without having problems.
Preparation is, as always, the key.
John Doney

Post by John Doney »

So I'd be better off painting the whole panel and then using adhesive sealant on top of the paint?
storm

Post by storm »

Painting the panel seals the panel itself (i.e. the grain of wood or the porosity of MDF). Using sealer seals the joins. My advice would be to paint the panel and then use the sealer for the joins.
Hotz

Post by Hotz »

I do not want to disagree with respect to painting, more my system is different. sorry Michael.

I use expansion glue masonry construction.

properties:
Adheres on all materials.
Wood, iron, Plastic, glass etc.

Its principle accept painting after being dry, does not react (Dissolve) with the solvent.
Elasticity 30%
My tests were positive for seal and fixation.

Just add that I passed glue before mounting the plates .. unlike assemble then seal thus guarantee 100% sealing.

Sorry my english mistakes.
PTS Parts>> http://www.flowbenchtech.com/store.html