Flow benches at high flow rates?

Discussion on general flowbench design
Jason

Re: Flow benches at high flow rates?

Post by Jason »

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the input. Sorry I have been so long to respond.

When I joined this forum initially i did not realize most of the flow applications here are specific. But you guys managed to come up with some valuable input for me. Thanks!

The system I am trying to make will be for conducting erosion testing on parts. Kind of similar to the deburring or honing processes describe a few post up. Except much faster. The honing or beburring process usually uses a ram or press to push the media through at a relatively slow rate.

I have considered either a closed loop system or an open system. Both have significant challenges. Most of all how to protect the system from a sandy slurry. I have found some flow meters designed for such use. Water/sand supply as well as heat due to friction are going to be an issue.

The links for the pumps have given me a good starting point. If you guys have any thought at all feel free to share. As I progress with this project I'll try to post updates. It sounds like some of you are intrested.

Jason.
Tony

Re: Flow benches at high flow rates?

Post by Tony »

Jason wrote:
When I joined this forum initially i did not realize most of the flow applications here are specific.
What we do here is flow air through cylinder head ports and valves, and take some flow measurements and carefully analyse the flow profile. Its all a very important part of serious engine development.
What we call wet flow, involves adding small amounts of fluid to simulate the effects of a gasoline/air mixture, but its mostly still all air.

I suppose an industrial sized pressure washer pump, with abrasive media added after the pump should produce some pretty spectacular high velocity erosion.

For low velocity high pressure abrasive paste, maybe something like a very large sized compressed air powered grease gun ?
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.