Newbie gets a bench.. WooHoo..!

Discussion on general flowbench design
Dqracer

Newbie gets a bench.. WooHoo..!

Post by Dqracer »

Hi guys , my name is Dallas, I have been lurking on here for the past year or so , reading everything you folks have to share about your bench projects,, Thanks for the great info.
But without having a bench to apply the technology too, I have been sittin on the curb like a kid without a bike...LOl
Well the Flowbench Gods shined on me, :D I found a bench, it was tucked away in the corner of a race shop for the past 8 yrs waiting for me. it is 6ft x 2ft x 2ft, 220 volt , 5 Lamb Elec 100cfm @28" fans, (with room for 3 more) It has a Flow Quik unit on it with calibration orfice and software. The crossover tube is 3".
We (my son and I) build motorcycle race engines and alcohol carbs for minisprints, so being able to actually verify our performance mods is a huge plus.
We brought it home and plugged it in, set the depression, made a plate for carbs and started gathering info. :D I ordered a Dywer digital manometer (475 series Mark III) with pitot tubes to expand our capabilities.

One thing I noticed with the bench was that the cfm readout on the FlowQuik, varies several 10ths and will not hold a constant flow number, is this normal for these units..? Would it be wise to add a tube manometer to verify flow numbers..? I'm think'n internal turbulence is causing this..? I took the top off to inspect the construction and design of the bench, (pics) Would a baffle help correct this..? Also the pressure tap is a couple of inches from the 3" crossover ,flat on the floor of the depression chamber, I plan on moving it to one of the corners as you have mentioned is a better location. If you would look at the pics and please offer up any comments as to the design of this bench (other than its freak'n Huge..! ) Plans call for a nice paint job and an aluminum work suface to spiff things up. Thank you in advance for any future questions I know that I'll have. Its great to finally get off the curb and Ride... :)

Dallas
http://www.600RRRacing.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dqracer

Re: Newbie gets a bench.. WooHoo..!

Post by Dqracer »

more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dqracer

Post by Dqracer »

Pics
Dqracer

Post by Dqracer »

Pic
Dqracer

Post by Dqracer »

Made a few upgrades and improvements to the bench, Stainless top , alittle , some graphics, made a fixture to open and close the valves , added a new support stand and head adapter for the 600 heads, also made up a manifold to allow sync'ing the carbs and matching the fuel metering signals with a digital manometer, I'm working on a smoke machine (halloween item) in a plastic drum ,with a 3/6 hose tap on the drum to allow doing ssmoke trials into the port to vsualize flow and swirl patterns in the plexiglass tube of the head adapter.
All in I'm having a blast, this is addicting stuff, its real easy to spend late hours in the shop.
Dqracer

Post by Dqracer »

head pic
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

Dqracer wrote:All in I'm having a blast, this is addicting stuff, its real easy to spend late hours in the shop.
That's a statement!! Welcome to the "Addiction"!!

Bench looks good!!
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
ftch

Post by ftch »

Looks great well done. Is it smooth now, Was it smooth with out a cylinder head bolted on?

cheers MM
Dqracer

Post by Dqracer »

Thanks ,, yes , moving the pressure tap to the corner did the trick, the readout is very steady now. The carb manifold didn't flow as I thought it would, (the end carbs don't get the same signal as the center 2 ) so back to the drawing board there..LOL
We're making a new adapter that flows 4 tubes right thru the top of the depression chamber.
Dqracer

Post by Dqracer »

Wheeew.. I really had to think twice and talk myself into boreing 4 holes thru that shiny new stainless top.... LOL but ya only live once right..
The results were well worth the effort. Now the signals are balanced and we can get valid numbers per carb without having to test the carbs individually and reposition the set for each carb test.
I still have to add some fittings to each runner tube for testing and sync'ing the carbs.