The outside..

Discussion on general flowbench design
SWR

The outside..

Post by SWR »

..of your benches. Some of you have benches looking like they were assembled by a higher power, so my questions is: What do you cover them with? They sure do not look like someone attacked them with a paint can and a brush to me... so I'd like to make my umpteenth version of my flowbench look decent too.

I was considering shrinkable model airplane coverings for the walls, industrial PVC coating for the tabletop. What do you guys use to cover yours to get that "million-dollar" look? :)
Brucepts
Site Admin

Re: The outside..

Post by Brucepts »

Rustoleum couple of coats of grey applied with a foam roller, steel-wooled between coats was all I did. Made an aluminum top plate around the top hole with a 5" square hole pattern 1/4" threads.

I would have covered the whole top but at the time lacked the $$$'s to do that and have been to lazy to go back and do anything else to it.

One bench I built for a customer was vinyl wrapped and it came out good, guess over time it would show any airleaks with a bubble here or there? :mrgreen:

I have another PTS build to get working on and will probably do the same finish to it, it's going to be my "show model" if and when I get around to doing any trade or car shows.
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
RACEPUMPER

Post by RACEPUMPER »

I laminate, but its not cheap. I think its worth it

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I really love making stuff but don't finish much
SWR

Post by SWR »

RACEPUMPER wrote:I laminate, but its not cheap. I think its worth it

Jim
What do you use for that? Product name? :)
RACEPUMPER

Post by RACEPUMPER »

Over here its called Laminex, but in the US its called Formica. Not sure about Europe. Just laminate for kitchen cupboards, many colours are available

Jim
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

Nice Build Jim!

Rick

Bjorn..... http://www.formica.com/sv/se
RACEPUMPER

Post by RACEPUMPER »

1960FL wrote:Nice Build Jim!
Thanks Rick, you wouldn't comment on my previous builds, back in the days before I found this wonderful place.

My previous flow benches did teach me a lot though..... :mrgreen: mostly to build it stronger than you think and that leaks and water gauges suck ass

Jim
SWR

Post by SWR »

1960FL wrote:Nice Build Jim!

Rick

Bjorn..... http://www.formica.com/sv/se
Rick, thank you. Found the Formica.com/nb/no-page, and they are just 15 minutes away from my shop. I'll ask them about pricing. :)