CFD of Bench

Discussion on general flowbench design
OwenMM

CFD of Bench

Post by OwenMM »

Has anyone else done any CFD sim work on their bench? I'm just learning how to use ansys CFX so these results may have a lot of problems but I thought I'd put up my initial results here for comment anyway. Modelled with a 100cfm calibration plate on top and a 2.5" plate inside, I have to go back and rerun it with the correct size internal plate, I didn't have it handy when I was modelling.

I'll put some more up when its been refined a bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OwenMM

Re: CFD of Bench

Post by OwenMM »

Found some time to tidy the model up a bit, no amazing revelations here but it's interesting to see the movement around the baffles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

Gives you a good idea of why they are in there.
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
Tom Vaught

Post by Tom Vaught »

Great CFD Work! The Baffles do work well.

But most of the installs are based on "that looks about right" type installations.

Could you do a matrix of tests with different plenum volumes/ volume shapes and then do a sweep height for the baffle from say 2" away from the orifice plate to the baffle location and identify where the baffle stops working properly?

Also do single hole vs spread hole (multiple orifices) configurations?

Tom V.
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

Tom Vaught wrote: Could you do a matrix of tests with different plenum volumes/ volume shapes and then do a sweep height for the baffle from say 2" away from the orifice plate to the baffle location and identify where the baffle stops working properly?

Tom V.
This was done on the initial design of the PTS style bench and found to be less than 3" had an effect on the flow through the orifice plate.

Discussion probably can be found on the old forum archive

Would be interesting to see if it showed the same in CFD
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
OwenMM

Post by OwenMM »

I'll try set up another run over the holidays, I've finished the CFD course I was starting when I did the sim above so might be able to get some better results now I understand a little more, but the student licence makes doing something like the full flowbench pretty hard with the cell/node limit.