Vacuum motor mixing

Discussion on general flowbench design
pcnsd

Vacuum motor mixing

Post by pcnsd »

I am building an 8 motor bench but have only 4 motors. They are the lighthouse LH9563-120. I have noticed some surplus 120 volt vacuum motors at the Surplus center at about $22 each delivered. They are not a match or even close to the performance of the lighthouse motors.
My question is, rather than block off the 4 spare mounts, can I run them until I can afford the higher priced and higher performance motors. I estimate they have the potential to add over 150cfm @ 28" to my bench. This should put me at ~450cfm@28" for total flow.
What is the down side to running mismatched vacuum motors?

PS, I don't need the additional flow for my personal work, but it may be useful to attract side work.

Paul
Brucepts
Site Admin

Re: Vacuum motor mixing

Post by Brucepts »

No harm in giving it a try for that amount of $$'s

How are you going to run them single switch with a check valve or on a single motor control?
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
pcnsd

Post by pcnsd »

I have your motor control system and will run all the motors together. I still need to purchase the interface unit that controls the motor output based on the output of the digital manometer. I have finally started assembly proper and will open a new build thread in the members section soon.
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

pcnsd wrote:I have your motor control system and will run all the motors together. I still need to purchase the interface unit that controls the motor output based on the output of the digital manometer. I have finally started assembly proper and will open a new build thread in the members section soon.
The "interface unit" or PID does not hook to the DM in anyway it is a separate unit that is manually set for depression and then it controls the set depression as you open the valve. It can be switch from automatic to manual mode with a switch mounted to it.

Not something everyone needs for their flowbench testing based on what type of testing you do, I always recommend to get your bench up and running with the Manual SSR, you can always add the PID setup if you need it at a later time.
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
pcnsd

Post by pcnsd »

Just an update to this thread to prevent others from going astray. Mixing vacuum motors did not work out for me. The better performing motors pull down their lesser cousins in application. I am about where I would be if I had run only the 4 higher performance motors and am paying 10 extra amps to do what a motor plug would have accomplished.

Match your motors.

Regards,
Paul
maxiboy

Post by maxiboy »

thanks for the advice Paul