Saw blades

Discussion on general flowbench design
Flash

Saw blades

Post by Flash »

When cutting MDF.........
40 or 60 tooth. which one do you us, and why?
Gordon
RACEPUMPER

Re: Saw blades

Post by RACEPUMPER »

Hahaha I've never even looked flash! I just cut the stuff. That seems to be working out ok!

Jim
I really love making stuff but don't finish much
ronm

Post by ronm »

Use carbide blades as many tips as you can find. Cut easier, quicker and doesn't burn the wood so bad. Just my opinion!
Flash

Post by Flash »

Well i asked because my left brain says that the more teeth the less chipping when cutting melamine...............My Right brain, however, thinks that more spacing between teeth would help to keep the blades/wood cooler?????????
Gordon
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

I used 48t for the bulk of my last flowbench build, it got dirty and started to burn the cut. I went with a 28t to finish the cuts I needed and had no issues. Could not tell the difference in cuts other than the burnt edges.

Melamine, score the cut for a shallow depth (1/8, my saw has a feature for this that is 2mm deep) then come back and cut full depth with a backing board underneath, make all your cuts with a backing board cutting into that board. I read online some use thick foam panels for this?
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
Tony

Post by Tony »

ronm wrote:Use carbide blades as many tips as you can find. Cut easier, quicker and doesn't burn the wood so bad. Just my opinion!
That is how I see it too.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
SSR

Post by SSR »

The number of teeth on a blade is kind of relevant to how big it is....
Smaller teeth = less chipping, TCT stays sharper for longer, useful when cutting MDF as the glue blunts them quicker.
Hello stalker!
Malvin

Post by Malvin »

Chip rate + Rpm + how fast you push= feed rate that sidewinder through the MDF
get it Right the Blade will Last for a very Long Time :)
Flash

Post by Flash »

My last bench i used 140 tooth and burned it up. but it was made out of a desk top aka laminated and particleboard not MFD. us a 60 tooth on this bench and wasn't feeding it hard.........blade still good. What i think killed my 140 tooth saw blade had nothing to do with the material and a LOT to do with free hand cutting and trying to change directions because i was bad at following that line. With my trak saw adapter, saw and saw blade here much Happier! ;)
Gordon