Performance Trends Black Box

Discussion on general flowbench design
amotero

Performance Trends Black Box

Post by amotero »

Hello! First time posting and currently building my PTS bench. I was wondering if anyone has used the Performance Trends DM with the PTS flow bench? The reasons why I thinking about the PT DM is because I'm familiar with using the Port Analyzer software so I figure I go with something I'm comparable with. I'm just not 100% sure if the Black Box will work with this bench. Hopefully someone can give me a clear answer!
storm

Re: Performance Trends Black Box

Post by storm »

While the PTS bench has evolved, and rightly so, to suit the hardware Bruce sells the PT blackbox should work with a PTS style bench. You may have to be prepared for tweaking your bench (e.g. pressure port placement etc) to get the best results with the PT Black Box.
Every job is a self portrait of the person who does it.
Autograph your work with excellence.
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

It should work fine and like Storm said might need some tweaking on the calibration that is all.

Any digital manometer that works with an orifice style flowbench design will work it's not limited to the PTS-DM.

I don't offer very much support though for other digital products so you are pretty much on your own or the support you can get from the other vendor
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
RACEPUMPER

Post by RACEPUMPER »

Are you blokes sure the black box works with a ratiometric orifice bench?
I'm not totally sold that it does.
Hopefully for the OP it does and I'm incorrect like usual

Jim
I really love making stuff but don't finish much
amotero

Post by amotero »

Thank you for the reply! Its weird because if you go on PT website and look at how their system works, the pressure points are directly in the path of the airflow while PTS pressure points are off to the side of the OP. I'm probably going to send the a email about the pressure points and how to change settings if it doesn't work. Its a lot of money and I would hate if I'm not 100% sure that this DM will work with this bench.
storm

Post by storm »

They work on SF flowbench designs and apart from the small SF260 (and its predecessors) the other flowbenches are the same "basic" design as the PTS, If you are willing to "tweak" your system to get the best from it you'll be right. If your not prepared to do this then go with Bruce's DM as they are designed to work following the flowbench design instructions.
Every job is a self portrait of the person who does it.
Autograph your work with excellence.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

amotero wrote:Hello! First time posting and currently building my PTS bench. I was wondering if anyone has used the Performance Trends DM with the PTS flow bench? The reasons why I thinking about the PT DM is because I'm familiar with using the Port Analyzer software so I figure I go with something I'm comparable with. I'm just not 100% sure if the Black Box will work with this bench. Hopefully someone can give me a clear answer!
Old thread but thought I'd add my 2-bobs-worth to the discussion.

I went for the Performance Trends black box for the same reason - already had 'Port Flow Analyser'
Worked fine. The reasoning for the positions of the PTS pressure pick-up points are equally valid for PT system as they are for the PTS DM system as far as I can see. Calibration can be a PITA regardless of which system..

Here's a blog post I made when I finished the bench about 4 years ago:
http://skrunkwerks.com/skrunk/pts-flow-bench-build/

Which system did you end up going for?
http://skrunkwerks.com