New member here and needs help!

Discussion on general flowbench design
kevin77

New member here and needs help!

Post by kevin77 »

I've been looking into building a flow bench for my head porting habbits in my garage lol. I have a few engines that im trying to improve the cylinder heads and i also have a race engine that needs head development. I also have much questions in my head that i just need to ask so please bare with me.
I've never built a flow bench before, How hard is it to build one of these benches?
Can a person without any construction knowledge be able to put one of these benches together correctly?
Is there a step by step on how to put these benches together?
I see so many different flow bench designs that people have, how do i know what design is best for me?
What are the stuff thats needed to build a complete bench to flow about 400cfm @ 28" h2o, and what price range am i looking at?

I am really considering to get a flow bench because this is the only way to develop serious cylinder heads, so please point me in the right direction thank you!!
coulterracn

Re: New member here and needs help!

Post by coulterracn »

Welcome to the forum.

I recommend the PTS DIY flowbench. Building the cabinet only takes basic fabrication skills. The electrical wiring may be a confusing if you have never delt with electricity.

All the information is here and the members are willing to provide answers to any question. Do not hesitate to ask.

Ray
My Flowbench is better than their's
Flash

Post by Flash »

i will 2nt that.
here is a link to the plans
http://www.flowbenchtech.com/plans.html

Well worth the the price!

You can build this with simple water gauges or go all out with the electronic and still be way less $$$$$ then a so called Pro bench that you could buy. with the same accuracy.

If you have been porting head with out a flow bench, you will wonder how you ever did it with out it.
Gordon
blaktopr

Post by blaktopr »

Welcome Kevin. Like Ray and Gordon said, all the info you need is here and at the old forum. Save your money for the motors first. The heart of the bench. Get Bruce's plans. Keep things simple at first with the cheap speed control. Then get an old computer and the PTS DM to replace the water guages. A velocity probe. Then once you are completely set up and understand the bench, venture into the more expensive speed controls and other electrical gadgets.
Chris Sikorski
Chris@wetflowtech.com
Totallywirednow.com
kevin77

Post by kevin77 »

Flash wrote:i will 2nt that.
here is a link to the plans
http://www.flowbenchtech.com/plans.html

Well worth the the price!

You can build this with simple water gauges or go all out with the electronic and still be way less $$$$$ then a so called Pro bench that you could buy. with the same accuracy.

If you have been porting head with out a flow bench, you will wonder how you ever did it with out it.

thanks Gordon, I plan on going all digital to make things easier.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Great stuff Kevin, welcome to the Forum.

As others have already suggested, get yourself a set of Forum flow bench plans, and you will be off to an excellent start.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
kevin77

Post by kevin77 »

Tony wrote:Great stuff Kevin, welcome to the Forum.

As others have already suggested, get yourself a set of Forum flow bench plans, and you will be off to an excellent start.
thanks tony, i can't wait!!