velocity probes

Discussion on general flowbench design
TiredGXP

velocity probes

Post by TiredGXP »

Yay, my brass tubing came in the mail this week, so I get to start working on my velocity probes soon.

Picked up a selection of brass tubing and a bender on line at http://www.hobbylinc.com. Their prices seemed pretty good, ~$30 for 5 3' sections of both 1/16" tubing and 1/8" tubing, and another 3' each of 3/32" and 5/32" + the bending tool (some of the tubing is destined for use on a RC airplane I'm working on). I should have plenty of tubing for a selection of probes and a few mistakes along the way.

The bender came with a few 3" pieces to practice on. It looks like annealing the brass helps it keep its shape, but there was no problem with kinking or splitting the tubing without annealing. For intake probes, outer diameter of the u-bend is only 0.54", so I should end up with a fairly compact finished product.

I still have to find a drill bit small enough for the static pressure ports, might be time to check out some of the hobby shops around town to see what's available.

I'm thinking I'll need three - one for intake ports, a straight probe for the exhaust, and another L-shaped one to get deeper into the valve bowl in the exhaust.

Anyone have pics of different probes and a quick explanation of what any unique ones are used for?

Cheers

Al
JakesPorting

Re: velocity probes

Post by JakesPorting »

Hello for the drills you are looking for i found thad that a carbide taper bit for
a dremel works really well. It has a very sharp point and you can use it in a normal drill
because the shank size is 1/8 inch.

Jake
TiredGXP

Post by TiredGXP »

Hmm, never thought about the tapered bit, I'll have to see if I can find mine. I did get a 1/32" dremel bit today, so may just give that a try.

Cheers

Al
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

Drill bit City http://drillbitcity.com/ I get all my Micro drill bits there 1/8 shank, metric, Dec, or Fractional Carbide or HSS. Great for Jetting too.

Rick
mitch

Post by mitch »

Just wondering how your tubes worked out.Can you share how you assembled the yubes and if the bent ones worked out
Thnaks