Malvin wrote:
coulterran Wrote"

a Payne 18TBP-2-15 to control two motors
When I looked your controller up in the spec reads its a 240 or 220
how did you wire it up to get two 110 vacuum motors to run off of
one controller No Pun intended Ray :) The Payne controllers is keeping
from finishing my wiring for my flow bench. Here is the link to my flow bench
build http://www.flowbenchtech.com/forum/view ... f=19&t=588
I wired it like the Payne control wiring diagram in Bruce's flowbench plans. The motors are wired in series across the 220volt output line.

Ray
My Flowbench is better than their's
Malvin

Re: Variable Solid state relays?

Post by Malvin »

I wired it like the Payne control wiring diagram in Bruce's flowbench plans. The motors are wired in series across the 220volt output line.

When you say in Series do you mean Parallel ??
coulterracn

Post by coulterracn »

Malvin wrote:

No, one wire of the motors are tied together and the other wire of each motor is connected to the output side of the controller.
My Flowbench is better than their's
86rocco

Post by 86rocco »

coulterracn wrote:
Malvin wrote:

No, one wire of the motors are tied together and the other wire of each motor is connected to the output side of the controller.
Just so there's no misunderstanding, PAIRS of motors are wired in series, and then each pair wired wired in parallel with the other pairs, like this.
Flowbench wiring simplified.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Malvin

Post by Malvin »

Thanks Ray & 86rocco !!!! :)
I understand now how it gets wired up
now I just have to wait until Roger at Payne
sends back my two Payne 18TB-2-25 controllers :)
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

Ok a little update on this project, I've had one of these setups on my flowbench now for the past couple of weeks playing with it in my daily flowbench testing.
KR2075AX.jpg
I installed it in place of my 75A PTS setup "to give it a go", I added a small heat sink and it's only running 2 LH motors so it's not a total workout by any means.

My findings have been it works, it is very course in it's adjustment but I feel it's better than the HF router control. It would be nice if you could add a 10 turn 500K pot in place of what they send you which I feel would make this an excellent choice as a inexpensive setup. Maybe a better quality 500K pot that allows me to use a larger knob like I do on the PTS POT might make it less course.

For a high end flowbench bench build not sure how it will hold up?

I'm thinking of ordering a bulk of 10 of these and adding heat sinks and offering them forsale, problem is making any money on them as someone can buy direct so I have to see if it's viable to offer it and make a little money also? I have somewhat of a problem in my mind buying direct from China though, but it is a global economy anymore and if it works . . .

If I get a chance sometime in the future now that life is getting back to some type of normal here I'll try and get this wired up with all motors on 220v and give it a go. Been wanting to swap my current setup over to full 220v control but haven't found the time to fit it into my schedule.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
86rocco

Post by 86rocco »

Thanks for the update Bruce.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Brucepts wrote:
For a high end flowbench bench build not sure how it will hold up?.
The SSR itself should be fine, but the heatsink will be what limits how much motor load it can handle.

If you run the bench flat out at full power for several minutes, and if you can hold your finger on the heatsink continuously, it will be fine.

Commercial heatsinks in the smaller sizes are very convenient to use, but a flat rectangular 3mm aluminium plate with the SSR bolted right in the middle works just as well.
If you need something really really big, a plain flat vertical aluminium plate will always be by far the cheapest option if you have some place to locate it.

A very rough sizing rule might be two square inches of total vertical surface area (with both sides exposed) per amp.
A flat sheet a foot square should be good up to about sixty or seventy amps.
A flat sheet six inches square maybe up to fifteen or eighteen amps.

There are many factors that can influence this, but if it runs cool enough to the touch at full power it will be o/k.
A heatsink can never be made too big.
If you are really stuck, a cooling fan may be an option, but it is one more thing that can go wrong.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Bakerlite

Post by Bakerlite »

Hotz

Post by Hotz »

As always never find anything here ... :mrgreen:
Better to ask! for that serves the the transformer 24/240V kits PTS SSR
I found a SSR with potentiometer but does not use transformer.
Believe, Transforming for digital speed control PTS.

Some forum discuss these matters :?:

Thanks..

ps: Bruce did not find the digital speed control for motors on the website. http://www.flowbenchtech.com/store/
Sorry my english mistakes.
PTS Parts>> http://www.flowbenchtech.com/store.html