Variable Solid state relays?

Discussion on general flowbench design
86rocco

Variable Solid state relays?

Post by 86rocco »

Anybody here have any experience with or know anything about variable solid state relays? I was looking for something else when I happened upon the Kyotto KR20 series, one of the sites I came across described it as:
Solid state dimmer: A block type variable voltage output device, which by the use of an external potentiometer, will give an output from between 25 and 240VAC
If I'm reading that correctly, seems like they could be a very neat and tidy way of controlling depression.
Beetle

Re: Variable Solid state relays?

Post by Beetle »

it has a TRIAC inside to control voltage output...it's noting more that a heavy duty "dimmer" like used for home lighting. depending how much amperage you put to it depends how long it will hold up. i would go with more than you think you would need. electric motors draw a lot of current when you first start them.
86rocco

Post by 86rocco »

Beetle wrote:it has a TRIAC inside to control voltage output...it's noting more that a heavy duty "dimmer" like used for home lighting. depending how much amperage you put to it depends how long it will hold up.

That's pretty much how I read it too. I just find it an interesting product as I've never seen a "dimmer" packaged like that before, very convenient for our purposes.
Beetle wrote: i would go with more than you think you would need. electric motors draw a lot of current when you first start them.
Good advise They're available from 10A all the way up to 90A should be no trouble finding one that's plenty adequate for any of our flowbenches.

BTW, this 75A kit is currently available on ebay for $29.10 plus $7.50 for shipping and there's also a similar 40A kit for $15.40 + shipping.
KR2075.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beetle

Post by Beetle »

only thing i see it that you will surely need some sort of heat sink on the unit....the higher the amperage the bigger the heat sink will need to be, might even be a good idea to put a small fan next to the heat sink too to keep it cool ( like in a computer). it also looks to only work wit 115 volt like normal home plugs? not positive how you would work it to use on 230 volt that has 2 "hot" wires and 1 Neutral wire. unless you used 2 of them with a ganged variable resistor to control both at the same time.......now you have me thinking....!!
86rocco

Post by 86rocco »

Tempting isn't? I really don't need one but for 20 odd bucks I don't know....
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

We use an “asynchronous” style relay in our application, it does not state which style this relay is.

I sent an email to the vendor and I'll wait a reply.
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

Save your money, reply I received back;

Kindly reply you that our solid state relay only suitable for resistance load, not suitable for inductive load.
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
86rocco

Post by 86rocco »

That's unfortunate! But, on the bright side, I didn't spend any money and I used this as an opportunity to learn more about SSR's so when I do need to buy one, I'll know enough to get the right type.
Darcy R

Post by Darcy R »

Brucepts wrote:Save your money, reply I received back;

Kindly reply you that our solid state relay only suitable for resistance load, not suitable for inductive load.
...and that's why we pay Bruce the big bucks!...or we should be anyway! :lol:
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

For those that want a SSR here is a heat sink from the same vendor, set up to mont muffin fan.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-pc-Aluminium- ... 20acd33bac

Rick