Bore Adaptors Again

Discussion on general flowbench design
bubba2400

Bore Adaptors Again

Post by bubba2400 »

Where is everyone getting their materials for bore adaptors. I am looking to make one for a 4.5" or 4.6" bore for a BBC head I am going to test. I can find the 1/2" acrylic sheet for a reasonable price but the tube or pipe for that size is either non existent or super expensive. I would like to do the whole thing for under $50 if possible. Just a number I pulled out of my head I guess. From what I have found so far I will be in the $100-$120 range at this time plus my time. Any advice or tips? Thanks, James.
jfholm

Re: Bore Adaptors Again

Post by jfholm »

I use PVC pipe. Some of the PVC they sell has one end larger than the rest so it will slip over the next length of pipe. It is called belled end pipe. If you get a 4" pipe the o.d. is 4.5". That makes the i.d. of the end that slips over the next pipe 4.5". That length of that coupling is around 8" long and PVC is very easily machined. So when I got it glued together I took it to my cousins and bored it to size with his boring bar. There is a place I buy it from that is a plumbing supply house and they have broken pipe in the back and will sell that to me cheap. I make my whole bore adapter out of PVC sheet and tubing. Easy to work with and glueable.

John
bubba2400

Post by bubba2400 »

Thanks John. I thought of the couplers but couldn't find anything long enough. I will take a look at home depot and menards tomorrow.

James
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

Well I am about finished with my flowbench, cheap, cylinder head adapter. I just have to get it bored and put some legs on it to hold it up above my ring on my flow bench. I also included a schedule 80 coupler Malvin had bored for himself. It is bored out to 4.530" but would easily go 4.600" or so. The schedule 40 ones I saw are about 4.5" long. I would think that should be plenty long for an adapter.
btw on my adapter I have glued on 1/8" thick neoprene rubber sheet on the whole top surface so I do not have to worry about a gasket when I am flowing. I have two locating dowels and three studs so it will locate the same each time.

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Garand69

Post by Garand69 »

pretty slick John, I think I will go that way for mine. Luckily, most of what I will be flowing will be motorcycle heads and I will just use the actual cylinder. I did however find this handy chart for choosing pipe sizes for other applications. Between using OD's and couplers like you did or the actual pipe ID, a lot of bases are covered.

http://www.harrisonplastic.com/pvcsched ... schpipedim
After the third flip, I lost control.. - Don Roberts after crash @ New England Dragway -1975.

I had a guy tell me that I couldn't do this without spending tens of thousands of dollars on expensive equipment. That's encouragement enough. - SJ 2010