Numerous bore sizes - one bench

Discussion on general flowbench design
Fahlin Racing

Numerous bore sizes - one bench

Post by Fahlin Racing »

I have finally been very slowly gathering items on a list for building a bench, the only thing that is making me think more. Is making a bench flow from a small bore (motorcycle) to a large bore (19L Cummins) and how would I construct the plumbing to work with both, or would I, once I need to be testing a 6.250" cylinder head do I just need to have a total different plumbing setup tube wise?

The hardware stores offer 6 inch, but no 5 inch, 4 inch etc. I can probably get something from a plastics company too however I would just like to post this and hopefully get some feedback before I start investing into my build. Mind you where I am I think the largest bore flowable I have been told is only a 5.5 or 5.75" cylinder. Not sure how many places even flow 6.250" bores in the US anyways but I do plan on future projects involving this bore size.

Thanks,
Jim
1960FL

Re: Numerous bore sizes - one bench

Post by 1960FL »

This bore size does not really affect your build except the bore adapters (dummy cylinder) you plan on placing on top of the bench to flow the specific head will need to be the proper length. If you are going to be flowing cylinders & heads with standard bores of 4.5" and greater on a regular bases it might be wise to make you top plate with a 6.5" bore and then another that seals on top with the standard pan bore with 5X5 pattern.

Rick
hubba

Post by hubba »

Fahlin Racing

Post by Fahlin Racing »

Thank you Rick, I will talk to Erland too since that is his website bubba linked. I am starting to see what everyone is talking about and playing around with.

Any recommendations on lower costing materials?