Pitot Probe

Discussion on general flowbench design
gowest

Re: Pitot Probe

Post by gowest »

Ivanhoew,
Thank you. I hope it is useful.

Rick,
Thank you for your thoughts. Very good point. I have only tested it in a port and tried to keep it in line with the angle of the port. The probe is deffinitely long at the tip and quite cumbersome within the port. Starting to sound like version 2 :lol: !

Am I even looking in the right direction as the "J" design makes it very difficult to get around the seat area. What design probe do most porters use ?

Thanks,
Marty
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

gowest wrote:Ivanhoew,
Thank you. I hope it is useful.

Rick,
Thank you for your thoughts. Very good point. I have only tested it in a port and tried to keep it in line with the angle of the port. The probe is deffinitely long at the tip and quite cumbersome within the port. Starting to sound like version 2 :lol: !

Am I even looking in the right direction as the "J" design makes it very difficult to get around the seat area. What design probe do most porters use ?

Thanks,
Marty
Actually most serious ports have multiple pitots. A "j" shape like you have. A straight one for doing exhaust when it is blowing against you and then one that is 45º to 90º whatever you prefer. With the 90º pitot you can mount the head with the intake port down to the bench and blow through the head and test the way the air comes out around the valve and seat area. That way you can check for shrouding and flow separation.

John
gowest

Post by gowest »

jfholm,

Thanks for the heads up on the static hole placement. I read somewhere that they could be placed 4 1/2 diameters from the end but mine are about 5 1/2 diameters and nearly twice as far as your paper states. I will try and rig up a pipe and give it a try in there.

Marty