Newby needing help

Discussion on general flowbench design
Flash06

Newby needing help

Post by Flash06 »

I'm am very new to this and basically need help with everything. I build unlimited racing go kart engines for personal use and I'm in need of a flowbench, I won't be needing a big one since I won't be building any engines over 500cc's, like I said I don't know anything about how to use one or build one other than what I've read on this forum so any help will be greatly appreciate. I am able to construct allot of my own parts so I can build one or by one if someone has one they want to part with.
Thanks in advance, Mitch
jfholm

Re: Newby needing help

Post by jfholm »

Mitch are you doing 2 cycle or 4 cycle engines or both? You probably want to build something that would flow at least 28" H2O test pressure so I would think building something with 2 to 4 motors would work

Bruce's bench is proven to be a great bench. Buy his plans for the 8 motor bench and just block off 4 holes and put 4 motors in it. When I first started playing with this style bench I built just the chamber side of Bruce's bench and plumbed 2 shop vacuums into it. Big ones, and was able to flow 12" H2O test pressure through a small block Chevy head that will flow 270 cfm at 28" H2O.

There are many ways to skin a cat. You can build a bench in many different formats but Bruce's is well designed and tested by many very knowledgeable people that are here on this forum. One of my favorite quotes is:
"It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is the wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others"

Good luck and welcome aboard!

John
Flash

Post by Flash »

X2
Bruce's plans are the best design out there, and the plans are dirt cheap. Build it to the plans, and it will work as good or better then the main stream benches that cost 10 times a much.

build a bench that can grow with you. ;)
Gordon
Flash06

Post by Flash06 »

Thanks for the input guys, I figured that I didn't need to have all eight motors but I wasn't sure, I probably will be doing 2 strokes in the future since I do race a 2 stroke that was built by buller. My goal is to become completely indepent within the next couple of years, meaning that I won't have to pay this person to do this and that person to do that. My plan is to start this project sometime next month when the mula comes in, I should've started last month since racing season is fixing to really get going and most of my time will be spent working on tires, but I will just have to find the time to at least get it built. I do have an interesting new build that have plans for this year so I will get some practice. I'm sure I'll be back with many more questions.
Thanks, Mitch.