anyone getting 100" out of their bench?

Discussion on general flowbench design
larrycavan

Re: anyone getting 100" out of their bench?

Post by larrycavan »

On that new set of slicks comment....

I have to laugh because I've watched that very thing happen. A guy with a 1327 drag bike that absolutely insisted when he went from the car tire he didn''t need down to a 7' slick and would not change the gearing. The bike had not near enough cylinder head for the size of the engine to begin with and he was twisting the thing to the bottom of the tach without gaining anything for probably the last 2000RPM of engine speed.

On top of that the tire he was running was old & used and had been sitting in a garage for 3 years.....
Larry C

http://www.cavanaughracing.com
Bakerlite

Post by Bakerlite »

I think I got 110" out of my FD test bench.. In my opinion, if your just going to park your ass on 28" and think it's the only way to test then your never going to discover or pioneer anything..
RACEPUMPER

Post by RACEPUMPER »

You think 110"? What's an FD flowbench? And how much cfm can you flow at 110" on an FD?
I'm not being a smart ass, I'm genuinely interested and have tested at 85"

Jim
I really love making stuff but don't finish much
RACEPUMPER

Post by RACEPUMPER »

It just clicked, floating depression. So ignore my question, you wouldn't have a cfm figure right?
I really love making stuff but don't finish much
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

Bakerlite wrote:I think I got 110" out of my FD test bench.. In my opinion, if your just going to park your ass on 28" and think it's the only way to test then your never going to discover or pioneer anything..
OK let's talk apples to apples and oranges to oranges here. You got 110" H2O depression out of you bench? What was it at lift wise? .050" lift? That is not hard to do. What will your bench pull at let's say .850" lift? on a Big Block Chevy?

I had a FlowQuik for a while and most of the time used it in floating depression modem. The unit converted it all to 28" H2O on the reading but in reality I was getting like 40" at the very low lifts and getting 10" at the high lifts. It varied all over the place going up from low to high lift. I have found that some heads flow very smooth at lower test pressure but once you crank them up in test pressure their turbulence shows up that did not show up at your lower depression.

So in answer to your question, Yes I do kind of like to park my ass at one test depression and did I pioneer or discover anything? Well you can ask all the guys I did heads for that one champion ships.

I have just one picture of a friends Turner Ford who won the National Championship at Road Atlanta 3 out of the 10 years he went and he always finished in the top 5. Even though they kept adding weight to us to try and slow us down. :lol:

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bakerlite

Post by Bakerlite »

It's no secret people have been using higher depressions to discover and solve problems with ports.
It's up to you if you want to investigate that avenue or not.
Malvin

Post by Malvin »

jfholm

OK let's talk apples to apples and oranges to oranges here. You got 110" H2O depression out of you bench? What was it at lift wise? .050" lift? That is not hard to do. What will your bench pull at let's say .850" lift? on a Big Block Chevy?

I had a FlowQuik for a while and most of the time used it in floating depression modem. The unit converted it all to 28" H2O on the reading but in reality I was getting like 40" at the very low lifts and getting 10" at the high lifts. It varied all over the place going up from low to high lift. I have found that some heads flow very smooth at lower test pressure but once you crank them up in test pressure their turbulence shows up that did not show up at your lower depression.

So in answer to your question, Yes I do kind of like to park my ass at one test depression and did I pioneer or discover anything? Well you can ask all the guys I did heads for that one champion ships.

I have just one picture of a friends Turner Ford who one the National Championship at Road Atlanta 3 out of the 10 years he went and he always finished in the top 5. Even though they kept adding weight to us to try and slow us down.

Thanks John I was trying to understand this Floating depression stuff & You cleared it up for me :)

I will stick with my flow bench :)
Bakerlite

Post by Bakerlite »

Malvin, just what exactly did John "clear" up for you. I'm interested to know as I can't seem to find any revelations in his post except him dismissing using anything but 28" depression because he's won a few races I've never heard of.
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

Bakerlite wrote:Malvin, just what exactly did John "clear" up for you. I'm interested to know as I can't seem to find any revelations in his post except him dismissing using anything but 28" depression because he's won a few races I've never heard of.
I usually don't let people get under my skin especially on this forum. First of all Bakerlite you are putting words in my mouth. I did not say I parked my ass at any particular test depression! I can guarantee it is higher than 28" H2O. You state that you have never heard of the races I mentioned then you better start doing some research as your ignorance is showing. Road Atlanta is SCCA big one in Atlanta. It is like "the" World Series or SCCA road racing. You sound like you come around to be contentious and we are not that way at this forum until some starts pushing buttons. If you want to learn and help us learn then do so with out being contentious.

Remember that it is sometimes better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!
Bakerlite

Post by Bakerlite »

jfholm wrote: So in answer to your question, Yes I do kind of like to park my ass at one test depression
Your words from your mouth, not mine. So the claim I'm putting "words into your mouth" is untrue from my perspective.
Also using the example of the race and its pictures plus your comment of " Well you can ask all the guys I did heads for that one champion ships" is contentious as well. After all, what's it got to do with building a bench that can take 100" or discussing why people would test over 28"? It's more like just a bit of grandstanding and is quite condescending at best.
As far as your last sentence in your last post.... well I'm just going to treat that with the contempt it deserves.
You might be wise to follow your own advice.