First time member??

Discussion on general flowbench design
Brucepts
Site Admin

First time member??

Post by Brucepts »

This is a forum, not a library. A forum only works if we have discussion . . .

New members should not be afraid to ask questions. If you can't find something via the search on either forums ask here. Human beings are better than the search engine and can usually answer the question more accurately. The "forum oldtimers" can search the archive because we more than likely remember reading the thread and know the keywords. Not as easy if you don't know the thread exists in the first place or what you really need to ask.

If we can help you find something, someone will post the link to the old thread and continue the discussion anew. This will help bring some of the old topics back up again which might spark new thoughts on a subject.

So please feel free to ask any questions you might have. We are here to help.
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
Garand69

Re: First time member??

Post by Garand69 »

I'm Guilty!!! I've been snooping around here without a library card for spell. Stumbled on to the site last winter and then kinda forgot about it. Then I found a SF110 on Ebay for $1500 starting bid, but I just watched it and the auction ended without a bid. It popped back up with $1000.00 starting bid and I bid $1000.... Quit paying attention to it and lost it to a bid for 1250 or something..

BUT I'm glad I did, that is when I remembered this forum and the PTS Flowbench. Registered on the forum a few days ago and then ordered my plans yesterday......

Been sucked into catching up on the forum for the last day and a half getting nothing done!!! My Brain hurts! But in a good way ;)

Anyhoo, I use to have an engine shop. Circumstances out of my control (Partner injured and then sued the Company :evil: ) I had to jump ship and get a Job (sure it was just temporary... :roll: ), 16 yrs later kinda hooked on the good pay, winters off and good insurance, which came in handy 4 Yoots later.

The shop I bought into focused on Industrial but I quickly moved that towards the performance realm. First catering to street racers and then local circle track and drag racers. Had a very good record for a young shop. but $#!T happens. Anyway, what's done is done. Now I focus on Motorcycle Engines (they take up waaaay less room), primarily obsolete Harley.

I look forward to learning more from this vast wealth of info, as well as posting my own trials and tribulations.

Dan
After the third flip, I lost control.. - Don Roberts after crash @ New England Dragway -1975.

I had a guy tell me that I couldn't do this without spending tens of thousands of dollars on expensive equipment. That's encouragement enough. - SJ 2010
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

Garand69 wrote:I'm Guilty!!! I've been snooping around here without a library card for spell. Stumbled on to the site last winter and then kinda forgot about it. Then I found a SF110 on Ebay for $1500 starting bid, but I just watched it and the auction ended without a bid. It popped back up with $1000.00 starting bid and I bid $1000.... Quit paying attention to it and lost it to a bid for 1250 or something..

BUT I'm glad I did, that is when I remembered this forum and the PTS Flowbench. Registered on the forum a few days ago and then ordered my plans yesterday......

Been sucked into catching up on the forum for the last day and a half getting nothing done!!! My Brain hurts! But in a good way ;)

Anyhoo, I use to have an engine shop. Circumstances out of my control (Partner injured and then sued the Company :evil: ) I had to jump ship and get a Job (sure it was just temporary... :roll: ), 16 yrs later kinda hooked on the good pay, winters off and good insurance, which came in handy 4 Yoots later.

The shop I bought into focused on Industrial but I quickly moved that towards the performance realm. First catering to street racers and then local circle track and drag racers. Had a very good record for a young shop. but $#!T happens. Anyway, what's done is done. Now I focus on Motorcycle Engines (they take up waaaay less room), primarily obsolete Harley.

I look forward to learning more from this vast wealth of info, as well as posting my own trials and tribulations.

Dan
Dan,
Welcome back! Your story parallels many of our stories. I was an automotive machinist for around 20 years and loved it. I owned my own shop for awhile and then like you said things happen. I too had to move on for more money and benefits.

Be glad you did not "win" ;) that SF110 for that much money. I built just the chamber side of the PTS flow bench off the plans and plumbed two shop vacuums into it and it would flow a good set of Small Block Chevy heads to 12" h2o. I don't think the SF110 will do that and the bench I built was way cheaper. I am now in the process of building the full scale bench with 8 motors.

It will be nice to have your input on the forum :D

John
Garand69

Post by Garand69 »

jfholm wrote:Dan,
Welcome back! Your story parallels many of our stories. I was an automotive machinist for around 20 years and loved it. I owned my own shop for awhile and then like you said things happen. I too had to move on for more money and benefits.

Be glad you did not "win" ;) that SF110 for that much money. I built just the chamber side of the PTS flow bench off the plans and plumbed two shop vacuums into it and it would flow a good set of Small Block Chevy heads to 12" h2o. I don't think the SF110 will do that and the bench I built was way cheaper. I am now in the process of building the full scale bench with 8 motors.

It will be nice to have your input on the forum :D

John
Thanks for the welcome John,

I am definitely glad I "lost" the SF110, it would certainly be a limitation. While I am not porting big block chevy heads, I would like to offer a flowbench service for those who do. I am fortunate to have operated both a SF120 and a SF600 in my early years and my port work has greatly benefited from it, but without a bench, I have been staying conservative with things I know work and my customers have been happy, but there are sooooo many things I want to try.

Right now I am thinking of going the route that you did. I have seen the pics and it certainly would simplify things. I am even thinking of just building a separate tower for the motors, though I need to see the prints first. I wish that I would have "woke up" back in December, I could be using my future new PTS bench on the engine I'm building now, but my current timeline will not allow that.

Dan
After the third flip, I lost control.. - Don Roberts after crash @ New England Dragway -1975.

I had a guy tell me that I couldn't do this without spending tens of thousands of dollars on expensive equipment. That's encouragement enough. - SJ 2010
crow1ss

Post by crow1ss »

Hi Just joined this Forum got my plans from Bruce can't wait to built my flow bench. Want to start flowing my own heads. I'm a tractor puller and I'm looking for the most flow I can get. International 1066 with 4 turbos so want to see what I can do testing head stock and also the turbos. Should be great learning adventure will need lots of advice I'm sure so stay tuned
Thanks Mike
RACEPUMPER

Post by RACEPUMPER »

Welcome Mike

Jim
I really love making stuff but don't finish much
crow1ss

Post by crow1ss »

Thank you Jim
Tony

Post by Tony »

Welcome to the Forum Mike.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
crow1ss

Post by crow1ss »

thank you Tony
Tony

Post by Tony »

Its a particularly slow around here right now, plenty of Forum visitors looking, but not many people posting.

Most of the activity seems to be in the flow bench building section, so once you start on your own build, there will be plenty of replies to any questions you may have.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.