Flowsoft information

brandoracing

Flowsoft information

Post by brandoracing »

Hi gentleman,finally I can buy ever parts for bench.
I desire to know some information for flowsoft,because I must to buy another PC to use in the bench.
My question are:
-What the best OS (operative system) to use? windows XP is good?
-In wich mode I connect digital manometer to PC? usb? serial port?
-the PID controller cannot connect to the pc,right?
Then,another important technical question: DM and flowsoft calculate the ambient temperature to compensate the different day of testings?
I don't find any air temp probe in the plans\project.

Thanks.
Sorry for my English!
www.brandoracing.it
Alfa Romeo 75 owner
Brucepts
Site Admin

Re: Flowsoft information

Post by Brucepts »

1) XP is fine it works up to Win 8 also just have to make sure it installs to the correct directory

2) I only supply USB now

3) The PID control is a stand alone unit and is not software driven

4) No need for correction factors with a center orifice design flowbench, the same air flows through your parts as does the testing orifice so it's not effected by temo and baro.
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
brandoracing

Post by brandoracing »

ok,but the weather condition can change,the result of a head tested in summer is the same of test in rigid winter?
I think no.
I understand the facts of the bench design,but I think the weather and relative temperature are very important....but I think is enough to make a simple correction. what do you think.
Sorry for my English!
www.brandoracing.it
Alfa Romeo 75 owner
86rocco

Post by 86rocco »

The correction is sort of built in, the reason being, an orifice type flow bench is ratiometric meaning it measures flow by comparing the flow of your test piece to the flow through a known entity i.e. a calibrated orifice. The orifice is calibrated for a specific standardized atmospheric pressure and temperature and you read the flow through your test piece as a percentage of the oriifce's rating. Now, what happens when there's a significant change in air density, the flow through your test piece will indeed change however the flow through the orifice changes along with it so it will read the same percentage, the net result is your readings are automatically corrected to the same standardized atmospheric pressure and temperature that the orifice was calibrated to.

Where you may be interested in some temperature and pressure corrections however is when you're using a pitot tube to take velocity measurements. I'll leave it to others more experienced with pitot tubes to fill the blanks.
Tony

Post by Tony »

brandoracing wrote:ok,but the weather condition can change,the result of a head tested in summer is the same of test in rigid winter?
I think no.
I understand the facts of the bench design,but I think the weather and relative temperature are very important....but I think is enough to make a simple correction. what do you think.
As explained above, the same port when tested with the same measurement orifice will always read the same flow figure, day or night, summer or winter.
No correction is required.

Air density, pressure, and humidity will definitely change, but because the exact same air flows through both what you are testing and the measurement orifice, the measured pressure drops across both will remain in the exact same ratio, and the final calculated flow figure stays the same.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.