First time build: cheap 240vac vacuum motors

ian99rt

First time build: cheap 240vac vacuum motors

Post by ian99rt »

So I'm gathering parts to start my flow bench from the pts plans (likely 8 motor system).

I will be using my 100 amp 240vac power circuit for my tig welder to power the bench.

So far these look like a bargain:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands/Pan ... 6-1448.axd

Any critiques on my vacuum source?
1960FL

Re: First time build: cheap 240vac vacuum motors

Post by 1960FL »

Ian,

They are not the most powerful motor out there not sure if anyone has tried them, that said it really is what are you going to be flowing and what is your max port requirement at say 28" of test pressure. These motors at 40 couple cfm at 44" are going to give you a maximum of not much more that 300cfm at 28" for the bench if you are going to use a PTS digital monometer. 16"DP + 28" test pressure = the 44" total needed. These motors flow 47cfm at 42" so you might be like 42cfm at 44" just guessing 42*8=336 but you don't get all the additive cfm there are losses. If you compare this to the lighthouse motors the cheapest is $99 US but flows 90+ CFM at 44".

So as with any flow bench it is Needs, Wants and Desires >>> if your biggest port will only need 200CFM and your wallet only has $200 then start the learning process with the Panasonics, and you can always change them out when the wallet is fatter.

Rick
Tony

Post by Tony »

Have to agree with Rick, those motors are babies.

Build your bench for as many of the larger motors as you have the available power to (eventually) run.
Cut all the motor holes but just fit perhaps two or three motors to begin with, and blank off the unused motor holes. Later on, you can buy more motors for it as the need arises.
That will get you started on a very tight budget, and offer an excellent future upgrade path.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
ian99rt

Post by ian99rt »

Understood guys I just found the motors to be so cheap and flow curve looked like enough with 8 motors.

The stuff I'm looking to flow is around 250 cfm at this point.