Small supercharger for flow bench

FrankyPerformance

Small supercharger for flow bench

Post by FrankyPerformance »

Hi, new here and want to learn on how to make my flow bench.I have a small machine shop, only one mill and a lathe, but I think I can build one. I mostly will do 4 valve cilinder heads for import cars. I whas thinking on using a small supercharger for vacuum/pressure source. If someone had done it, can tell me how to put it together?

I find this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/273086853255
But don't know the size for the electric motor I need to use. Thanks in advance.
varnish1

Re: Small supercharger for flow bench

Post by varnish1 »

FrankyPerformance wrote:I mostly will do 4 valve cylinder heads for import cars. I was thinking of using a small supercharger for vacuum/pressure source. If someone had done it, can tell me how to put it together?
I use a Easton M62; Part number A1110900380.
This model has the electronic clutch on the nose which I wanted as a safety device as it would allow me to quickly disconnect the drive if the bench ties to eat my shirt or the Plasticine on the port entry etc.
I use a 3kW, 2 pole, 3 phase electric motor to run the thing, which in the UK is rated to 2900rpm at 50Hz. I'm powering it from a domestic single phase power supply with a Chinese VFD to convert the single phase power to 3 phase.
The drive ratio is somewhere around 3.4:1 so at full speed the blower is running around 9800 rpm which gives something like 350CFM (nominally) of air flow.

Eaton super chargers are a little scarce in the UK, I would have preferred an M90 but the price was too much to justify.
I feel like they would be cheaper in the US.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Varnish has pretty well covered it.

The AMR500 is a very small supercharger usually used on motorcycle sized engines, it has a swept volume of 500cc per revolution.
The M62 is over twice the size at 1,015cc per revolution and much more suitable.

Unless you are working with particularly small engines, its going to need to be driven to extremely high speed to achieve even modest airflows.
Something much larger turning more slowly would be far easier to drive, and be more efficient, with a lot less noise.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
FrankyPerformance

Post by FrankyPerformance »

Thanks a lot, I will start searching for a bigger supercharger or more affordable vacuum motors, I think I will need no more than 400cfm max.I will post the findings, thanks a lot