Critique my vacuum source.

Areomyst

Re: Critique my vacuum source.

Post by Areomyst »

Bambi4010 wrote:If you have 220v available this one gives a little more flow.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?i ... 7&catname=

Note the flow numbers at about 44 inches of water. 56 cfm @ 59" vs 38 cfm @ 57"
Thanks Bambi,

I do have 220v 60a available. I can upgrade to 100amp if I can find a 100A Zensco breaker... Old house. :P

~Josh
Tony

Post by Tony »

You will always be better off running 220 volt motors than 110 volt motors, because they will draw half the current for the same sized motor.
That makes it a lot easier on whatever you decide to use to electronically control the motor speed.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Areomyst

Post by Areomyst »

Tony wrote:You will always be better off running 220 volt motors than 110 volt motors, because they will draw half the current for the same sized motor.
That makes it a lot easier on whatever you decide to use to electronically control the motor speed.
Hi Tony,

Thank you for the reply! I called my electrician friend and told him that I was thinking of running two of the motors, and after reading him the specs on the 240v motors, he sounds confident that we can make it work. On a side note, I ordered Bruce's plans, and look forward to receiving them!

I've been reading a few books: "How to Port & Flow Test Cylinder Heads" by David Vizard, "Air flow & How To Get It" by Joseph DeAngelis, and will be picking up a copy of "Engine Airflow" by Harold Bettes when I get finished with the others. I've been messing with 2-stroke performance for quite a while, but even though these books focus on 4-stroke engines, I wish I had read them a long time ago!

If I ever get a nice big chunk of free time, I may post up some of my 2-stroke porting projects. :) It's fun to take these scooter engines that are born doing 30mph @ 50cc, and tune them into 74cc 65+MPH screamers. I should be into the 9 second territory in the 1/8 mile next time I make it to the drag strip. Best ET of the season is 10.283 - which is still lazy compared to a lot of the well-tuned bikes using the big name parts and tuners. I'm using decent parts, but most of them were found in the scrap bin. ;)

Cheers!

~Josh
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

Areomyst wrote:
Tony wrote:You will always be better off running 220 volt motors than 110 volt motors, because they will draw half the current for the same sized motor.
Hi Tony,

Thank you for the reply! I called my electrician friend and told him that I was thinking of running two of the motors, and after reading him the specs on the 240v motors, he sounds confident that we can make it work. On a side note, I ordered Bruce's plans, and look forward to receiving them!

I've been reading a few books: "How to Port & Flow Test Cylinder Heads" by David Vizard, "Air flow & How To Get It" by Joseph DeAngelis, and will be picking up a copy of "Engine Airflow" by Harold Bettes when I get finished with the others. I've been messing with 2-stroke performance for quite a while, but even though these books focus on 4-stroke engines, I wish I had read them a long time ago!

If I ever get a nice big chunk of free time, I may post up some of my 2-stroke porting projects. :) It's fun to take these scooter engines that are born doing 30mph @ 50cc, and tune them into 74cc 65+MPH screamers. I should be into the 9 second territory in the 1/8 mile next time I make it to the drag strip. Best ET of the season is 10.283 - which is still lazy compared to a lot of the well-tuned bikes using the big name parts and tuners. I'm using decent parts, but most of them were found in the scrap bin. ;)
Cheers!

~Josh
Josh,
First, scrap is good! Anybody can build with bushel baskets of $100 bills :lol: I love projects out of the ordinary where you cannot just go buy parts. That is why I am reviving my old Chevy Stovebolt 235 project.
On two stroke stuff have you seen this book? http://www.amazon.com/Two-Stroke-Perfor ... two+stroke this is a great book on two stroke and he also makes one for 4 stroke stuff. They are in my library also.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Areomyst

Post by Areomyst »

Thanks for the kind words! I do have Bell's 2-stroke book, but I have not read the 4-stroke one. I'll have to check it out when time allows.

I did a quick search on Chevy Stovebolt 235, and it looks like a neat car! It looks easy to work on as well. My own car experience doesn't go far outside of the 2.0L Saab 900 Turbos that I used to own. Someday I hope to retire the minivan and stationwagon and get back into the turbo cars. SAAB also made some cars powered with 2-stroke engines that I'd love to someday get my hands on.

Cheers!

~Josh
Wheeljack

Post by Wheeljack »

jfholm wrote: On two stroke stuff have you seen this book? http://www.amazon.com/Two-Stroke-Perfor ... two+stroke this is a great book on two stroke and he also makes one for 4 stroke stuff. They are in my library also.
AG Bell also has a forced induction book that I have along with the 4 stroke book. All very good references.
Chris
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

Wheeljack wrote:
jfholm wrote: On two stroke stuff have you seen this book? http://www.amazon.com/Two-Stroke-Perfor ... two+stroke this is a great book on two stroke and he also makes one for 4 stroke stuff. They are in my library also.
AG Bell also has a forced induction book that I have along with the 4 stroke book. All very good references.
I'll have to get that one also. I like his writings.
Tony

Post by Tony »

I have both the "Four stroke performance tuning" book, and the "Forced induction performance tuning" book.
Both highly recommended reading.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

Hi Tony and thanks!
Unkl Ian

Post by Unkl Ian »