It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Critique my vacuum source. 

Bambi4010 wrote:
If you have 220v available this one gives a little more flow.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?i ... 7&catname=

Note the flow numbers at about 44 inches of water. 56 cfm @ 59" vs 38 cfm @ 57"

Thanks Bambi,

I do have 220v 60a available. I can upgrade to 100amp if I can find a 100A Zensco breaker... Old house. :P

~Josh

Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:15 am

You will always be better off running 220 volt motors than 110 volt motors, because they will draw half the current for the same sized motor.
That makes it a lot easier on whatever you decide to use to electronically control the motor speed.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:58 pm

Tony wrote:
You will always be better off running 220 volt motors than 110 volt motors, because they will draw half the current for the same sized motor.
That makes it a lot easier on whatever you decide to use to electronically control the motor speed.

Hi Tony,

Thank you for the reply! I called my electrician friend and told him that I was thinking of running two of the motors, and after reading him the specs on the 240v motors, he sounds confident that we can make it work. On a side note, I ordered Bruce's plans, and look forward to receiving them!

I've been reading a few books: "How to Port & Flow Test Cylinder Heads" by David Vizard, "Air flow & How To Get It" by Joseph DeAngelis, and will be picking up a copy of "Engine Airflow" by Harold Bettes when I get finished with the others. I've been messing with 2-stroke performance for quite a while, but even though these books focus on 4-stroke engines, I wish I had read them a long time ago!

If I ever get a nice big chunk of free time, I may post up some of my 2-stroke porting projects. :) It's fun to take these scooter engines that are born doing 30mph @ 50cc, and tune them into 74cc 65+MPH screamers. I should be into the 9 second territory in the 1/8 mile next time I make it to the drag strip. Best ET of the season is 10.283 - which is still lazy compared to a lot of the well-tuned bikes using the big name parts and tuners. I'm using decent parts, but most of them were found in the scrap bin. ;)

Cheers!

~Josh

Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:26 pm

Areomyst wrote:
Tony wrote:

Hi Tony,

Thank you for the reply! I called my electrician friend and told him that I was thinking of running two of the motors, and after reading him the specs on the 240v motors, he sounds confident that we can make it work. On a side note, I ordered Bruce's plans, and look forward to receiving them!

I've been reading a few books: "How to Port & Flow Test Cylinder Heads" by David Vizard, "Air flow & How To Get It" by Joseph DeAngelis, and will be picking up a copy of "Engine Airflow" by Harold Bettes when I get finished with the others. I've been messing with 2-stroke performance for quite a while, but even though these books focus on 4-stroke engines, I wish I had read them a long time ago!

If I ever get a nice big chunk of free time, I may post up some of my 2-stroke porting projects. :) It's fun to take these scooter engines that are born doing 30mph @ 50cc, and tune them into 74cc 65+MPH screamers. I should be into the 9 second territory in the 1/8 mile next time I make it to the drag strip. Best ET of the season is 10.283 - which is still lazy compared to a lot of the well-tuned bikes using the big name parts and tuners. I'm using decent parts, but most of them were found in the scrap bin. ;)
Cheers!

~Josh

Josh,
First, scrap is good! Anybody can build with bushel baskets of $100 bills :lol: I love projects out of the ordinary where you cannot just go buy parts. That is why I am reviving my old Chevy Stovebolt 235 project.
On two stroke stuff have you seen this book? http://www.amazon.com/Two-Stroke-Performance-Tuning-Bell/dp/1859606199/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1356208396&sr=1-1&keywords=a+graham+bell+two+stroke this is a great book on two stroke and he also makes one for 4 stroke stuff. They are in my library also.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:36 pm

Thanks for the kind words! I do have Bell's 2-stroke book, but I have not read the 4-stroke one. I'll have to check it out when time allows.

I did a quick search on Chevy Stovebolt 235, and it looks like a neat car! It looks easy to work on as well. My own car experience doesn't go far outside of the 2.0L Saab 900 Turbos that I used to own. Someday I hope to retire the minivan and stationwagon and get back into the turbo cars. SAAB also made some cars powered with 2-stroke engines that I'd love to someday get my hands on.

Cheers!

~Josh

Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:46 pm

jfholm wrote:
On two stroke stuff have you seen this book? http://www.amazon.com/Two-Stroke-Performance-Tuning-Bell/dp/1859606199/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1356208396&sr=1-1&keywords=a+graham+bell+two+stroke this is a great book on two stroke and he also makes one for 4 stroke stuff. They are in my library also.

AG Bell also has a forced induction book that I have along with the 4 stroke book. All very good references.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:07 pm
Profile WWW

Wheeljack wrote:
jfholm wrote:

AG Bell also has a forced induction book that I have along with the 4 stroke book. All very good references.

I'll have to get that one also. I like his writings.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:17 pm

I have both the "Four stroke performance tuning" book, and the "Forced induction performance tuning" book.
Both highly recommended reading.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:31 pm

Hi Tony and thanks!

Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:02 pm

How about:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=16-1448&catname=

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2