PTS Automatic Depression Control

Brucepts
Site Admin

PTS Automatic Depression Control

Post by Brucepts »

Operating the solid state motor control to maintain a set depression while testing a head.

Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
Brucepts
Site Admin

Re: PTS Automatic Depression Control

Post by Brucepts »

I do not have a lot of info if any on my website right now about this product. It does require some in-field fine adjustment for one's flowbench/motor combination.

I was using it the other day and thought it would be a good first start for "honing" my video production skills (or lack there of) showing how well it works.

It's not an inexpensive product though as you need the SSR motor control and this added together. It can be added on at anytime to the SSR control as one upgrades their flowbench. Currently, the SSR is priced at $245 and this product is $275 for the 40" model so one is looking at $520 to get to this point.

It is designed to also work with other motor control setups as it has various signal output settings.
Bruce

Areomyst

Post by Areomyst »

Nice video sir!

So this eliminates the need for the relays and separate switches for each pair of motors, then depression is automagically controlled?

Sorry for "beginner" questions Bruce, just want to make sure I understand the overall benefit to the end user. It seems like it would be easier to wire up, is that correct?

Best,

~Josh
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

The solid state relay motor control allows you to speed control all motors doing away with individual switches/relays for each motor.

Speed is manually controlled via a knob on a potentiometer with one switch switching main power on and off via a contactor.

Add on this depression control to the SSR and you set the depression on your first test point and from then on for that test you never touch the speed control as this box does it for you. On your next test set it at the beginning and perform your test and the pressure is kept at your set depression. So all you do is open your valve to desired test point take a reading move to next point take a reading etc . . . speeds up testing for those who are concerned with speed.

I'll work on getting another video this coming week showing the manual test mode for comparison.

This is a nice feature but not everyone needs it for the added cost to a flowbench build.

I simply did the video as I was setup to do some testing for myself on a head and thought it would be a good way to get my butt moving on getting some videos done that I have been talking about for a year now!!! :oops:

I would like to do some audio narration but have a hard time listening to myself on video LOL But, need to get over that and get the info out for everyone!

Next on the list is "Orifice Plates 101" and that would be way easier if I was explaining it!
Bruce

Tony

Post by Tony »

Areomyst wrote: So this eliminates the need for the relays and separate switches for each pair of motors, then depression is automatically controlled?
~Josh
Yes Josh, there are basically three different ways to control the PTS flow bench.

1/ Control the speed of two motors with a low cost router speed control module, then fit switches, relays, and non return valves to all the additional motors.

2/ Control the speed of all the motors together with a single high power speed control module. It greatly simplifies the wiring, and non return valves are not required. This reduces noise, and wear and tear on the motors, as well as making the manual adjustment of test pressure much more straightforward by having just a single ten turn speed control knob to adjust.

3/ The automatic depression control box can then be very easily retrofitted to option two, to make correcting the test pressure fully automatic.
It is a really great upgrade to make.

The automatic depression control system can also control more than one high power speed control module, as would be required for three phase operation.
This will be of no interest to American users.
But us Aussies and Europeans have a very different power distribution system to the US, and it could be a useful feature, as its common to have limited current availability spread across three different phases.

The automatic depression control can also control a variable frequency drive for the very few of us us running a flow bench fitted with a large single centrifugal air blower or a supercharger.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Areomyst

Post by Areomyst »

So the solid state motor control is this guy:
http://www.flowbenchtech.com/ssr.html

And the automatic depression control hardware is here:
http://www.flowbenchtech.com/motorcontrol.html

Is that right? If not, please correct me.

Just want to make sure i have my info correct. My original plan was to use water manometers, but with the year I've had in my shop, I think I'm on the right path being patient and saving up for the better build.

It helps me to see what the actual hardware looks like as I feel like visualization of the components solidifies my understanding to some degree. It might sound silly, but I think a lot of other "wannabe flowbenchers" will feel similarly.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Areomyst wrote: Is that right?
Yes that is correct.
With the solid state motor control, the ten turn potentiometer fitted on the end of the grey cable will manually control the speed of all the motors in your bench.

In addition to that, you can then fit the automatic test pressure control box to the end of the grey cable, (replacing the potentiometer) It senses test pressure and adjusts and corrects motor speed automatically.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
ivanhoew

Post by ivanhoew »

I like the video... nicely put together and clear and concise ...good job .
medusa assembled..first drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKMvQQm7Cn4&t=5s
ron thorne

Post by ron thorne »

bruce: I really would like to see the manual version for comparison. Any progress? Thanks, Ron.
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

ron thorne wrote:bruce: I really would like to see the manual version for comparison. Any progress? Thanks, Ron.
Not sure what you are asking?

I was manually opening the valve and the motors follow along with the motor control. For manual operation you simply flip the switch on the end of the unit in the picture above and you have full manual control over motor speed with the control pot mounted on your console.

So going from manual to automatic control is a simple flip of the switch, at the very beginning of the video you can see the shadows of me reaching down to flip the switch as I forgot to do that before starting the camera. Once in automatic mode you have to set the pressure at your first test point and from then on it will follow along when you open the valve using the manual valve adjuster. The valve adjuster does not have a servo installed nor is any of this controlled via the digital manometer. It is a separate unit that "T"s into the static pressure lines.
Bruce