PTS Automatic Depression Control

ron thorne

Re: PTS Automatic Depression Control

Post by ron thorne »

Brucepts wrote:The solid state relay motor control allows you to speed control all motors doing away with individual switches/relays for each motor.

Speed is manually controlled via a knob on a potentiometer with one switch switching main power on and off via a contactor.

Add on this depression control to the SSR and you set the depression on your first test point and from then on for that test you never touch the speed control as this box does it for you. On your next test set it at the beginning and perform your test and the pressure is kept at your set depression. So all you do is open your valve to desired test point take a reading move to next point take a reading etc . . . speeds up testing for those who are concerned with speed.

I'll work on getting another video this coming week showing the manual test mode for comparison.

This is a nice feature but not everyone needs it for the added cost to a flowbench build.

I simply did the video as I was setup to do some testing for myself on a head and thought it would be a good way to get my butt moving on getting some videos done that I have been talking about for a year now!!! :oops:

I would like to do some audio narration but have a hard time listening to myself on video LOL But, need to get over that and get the info out for everyone!

Next on the list is "Orifice Plates 101" and that would be way easier if I was explaining it!
ron thorne

Post by ron thorne »

Whoops, that didn't work like I wanted. You wrote "I'll work on getting another video this coming week showing the manual test mode for comparison." Pardon my lack of computer skills. Thanks, Ron.
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

Yea well that video didn't get done :oops:

Had a couple of flowbench orders show up so that put all that on hold, I also am waiting on some lights and a back-drop to show up so I can make some better quality videos.

I was doing some research and found lights and backdrops are really not all that much $$$'s so I spent some of the PTS Flowbench $$$'s on an inexpensive setup. Now all I have to do is keep figuring it all out since I am the PTS Video department :)

I was playing with voice-over's the other night so I can add some audio to the videos which would be way better to explain things instead of adding text. Kinda hard to talk on video while the flowbench is running.
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
Tony

Post by Tony »

Bruce, we accept nothing less than a full symphony orchestra in your garage, and some dancing girls.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Areomyst

Post by Areomyst »

Tony wrote:Bruce, we accept nothing less than a full symphony orchestra in your garage, and some dancing girls.
You know, I was going to say something about dancing girls... Decided not to, then you pipe up! :P

Ciao!

~Josh

EDIT: In real life, if there were dancing girls, I wouldn't take the video's content very seriously. On the other hand, a lot more guys around my neck of the woods just might...
Last edited by Areomyst on Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Areomyst

Post by Areomyst »

Brucepts wrote:Yea well that video didn't get done :oops:
I know that feeling. I did a few videos and put them up on Youtube, and then took all the footage I need to show how to do a total engine rebuild on one the the popular types of engines that I service. It's been something to the tune of 4 years now and I haven't gotten the stupid thing done and put into "presentable" format. You know, I gotta edit out the parts where the phone rings, my wife bugs me, or I screw up something.

Say, I wonder if there are any videos you might make for the PTS "Member's Only" showing more detail of the construction of the flowbench, etc... You know, that stop-motion stuff is getting popular on Youtube these days. You could do a stop motion PTS flowbench build. Then do a cad rendering showing air flows during intake and exhaust mode. Then show a dancing orchestra girl for Tony, and...

I'll stop now - I'm probably giving you enough headache as-is. :P

Cheers!

~Josh
brandoracing

Post by brandoracing »

Hi guy,I need to make two questions:
1) with the automatic pid control,I can set EVERY depression I need (under 36" obviously) or that device ran only with 28"?
2)I can use ONLY automatic pid control or that device need also the SSR motor control to work?
Thanks.
Sorry for my English!
www.brandoracing.it
Alfa Romeo 75 owner
Tony

Post by Tony »

The PID pressure controller has a switch, and a knob.

With the switch in "manual" the knob controls the motor voltage directly. Its just a direct speed control from zero to full speed.

With the switch in "auto" the knob sets the desired test pressure between zero and 40 inches.
The knob has ten turns, so its very easy to set to an exact pressure.
Once you have set the required test pressure, to 10, 20, 28 or any pressure 0-40, the motor speed self adjusts automatically to hold that exact test pressure over the full flow range of the bench.

You just do your testing, and the test pressure stays exactly the same at all valve lifts, no need to readjust anything.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
brandoracing

Post by brandoracing »

sorry,but I don't understand a thing:
the PID conroller have a 2 position button,automatic and manual.
I set it to manual,set my desidered depression,then switch it to automatic?
Or in automatic I can set the depression with the knob?
then I wait 5 second and the pid work alone?
Sorry for my English!
www.brandoracing.it
Alfa Romeo 75 owner
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

In "M" mode it works manually you have manual control over the motors.

In "A" mode you set your depression with the control knob on your first test point and from then on the motors will be controlled as you open or close your valve on your part.

They are two separate modes, you can switch from modes in testing but you will have to reset depression in "A" mode when you want depression control.

The PID Control might have to be tuned to your motors, email I sent contains the instructions for tuning. You have to play with the DIP switches inside the box per instructions, it can be tuned to your liking. I send it tuned for a basic setup from my motors on my flowbench. The easiest way to is see how they react now and just try different settings. Once you play with the DIP's you will get a better understanding of what they do. Really no easy way to describe the tuning process.
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .