Carb Comparator

Anything that does not fit into pitot or conventional orifice flowbench design
jfholm

Carb Comparator

Post by jfholm »

Anyone seen or used one of these? My friend put a bid on an auction at a surplus-freight damage place. On line it says they are used for comparing go kart carbs. Don't show cfm just compares carbs.

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RACEPUMPER

Re: Carb Comparator

Post by RACEPUMPER »

Interesting John, can't find much info online.
Does it just show airflow on a scale, like a vague temperature gauge?
It does have 3 manometers by the looks of it

Jim
I really love making stuff but don't finish much
RACEPUMPER

Post by RACEPUMPER »

Not much information, but this is from the manufacturer

http://www.simonsbalancing.com/carbcomparator.html

Jim
I really love making stuff but don't finish much
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

They use it to compare a known good carb to another. Most of the karts run stock parts so they want to make sure they get the "best" stock carb they can

There are a few kart guys on the forum someone will chime in sometime with a more detailed use . . .
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
Areomyst

Post by Areomyst »

I'm interested in knowing more about this myself. I have decided to buy one of these Simons Carburetor Comparators, and I am likely going to pick it up next week. I figured it could be a good tool to have in the workshop as I do mostly small scooter engines. I am still hoarding parts and tools (got a router and table now!) for my PTS build and I'll go forward with that for sure, but in the meantime that little comparator might be educational. Looking at the photos, I can't tell if it's setup to change from intake (suck) to exhaust (blow). I'm not sure how useful it will or won't be, but I figure if nothing else then I'll have a couple of manometers for the PTS build to hold me off till I can save enough for the PTS Digital Manometer.

I called Simons today to see if they could get a manual to me, but they said they needed the serial number. I suppose there must have been some changes over the years. Simons stopped selling the carb comparators something like 14 years ago according to the website. Guess the Y2K bug got 'em. :P

I will try to get pictures up after I buy it so that others can see. I don't know much about it. Perhaps a chart could be printed up so I can convert the numbers to CFM. Isn't that how the older Superflows (SF110, etc) are anyway? Forgive my ignorance.

Ciao!

~Josh
Areomyst

Post by Areomyst »

It is also interesting to see the way they flow the blocks:
Areomyst

Post by Areomyst »

Just got off the phone with the seller, I'm picking it up Tuesday. :D

~Josh
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

Areomyst wrote:Just got off the phone with the seller, I'm picking it up Tuesday. :D

~Josh
If you don't mind me asking what did you have to pay for it Josh?

John
Areomyst

Post by Areomyst »

$225. I think it's worth it. I've seen them anywhere from $200 to $600. I'll use this little guy for my education while I get my PTS build together.

My guess is that your friend got his even cheaper!

~Josh
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

Areomyst wrote:$225. I think it's worth it. I've seen them anywhere from $200 to $600. I'll use this little guy for my education while I get my PTS build together.

My guess is that your friend got his even cheaper!

~Josh
It was an auction and he did not win. I told him he should bid at least $100 - $150 but I think he only bid $50 so he did not win. Don't know what it went for but there are a lot of go fast karters here in The Salt Lake area.

John