A "floating pressure drop" type flowbench - By David Vizard

Anything that does not fit into pitot or conventional orifice flowbench design
1960FL

Re: A "floating pressure drop" type flowbench - By David Viz

Post by 1960FL »

Bruce,

Why don't we give this a category on the index page "Floating Depression" As this is not the only style as John has eluded to maybe will will finally see something and learn.

Oh and move this thread there as it really does not relate to the link anymore.

Rick
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

Done . . .
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
BigBro74

Post by BigBro74 »

Guys, i think that saying that nobody has had one running or posted any results is untrue as i did both;)

I havn't posted recently as my school work is more important right now, although you guys have been a great topic for a research paper on confirmation bias and internet subcultures.

Got a pair of 115923 motors for my new bench and have run out of time short of putting it all together. Maybe for christmas?

cheers, Jason
Jason
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

Jason,

Confirmatory bias these are some strong words to be used in a forum that many believe, is the leading source of information about flow benches out there. Not just the daily posters but many professionals who work in the business every day read and contributing.

Confirmatory bias can be perceived in both directions but in the end it is the factual data that distinguishes one party from the other Ahhhh this is exactly how Bruce came to the dark side. I welcome your data, the scientific data that is here in the new category for us to all learn and be educated.

Hope school is going well for you I miss those day’s.

Rick
BigBro74

Post by BigBro74 »

yes - on the confirmation bias i was the second worst offender (if such a perception is accurate?) in my own survey. definately a two way street.

school is going well, Rick, and thanks for asking. It would have been more enjoyable perhaps at a younger age?

no new data yet, have not had time, but soon perhaps.........

only possible thing to add is the heads i ported with the bench did well, the driver had his best finishes so far with that engine. I Learned much with it.

Jason
Jason
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

Jason,

Read through this thread and listen to what Chris and Chad are saying about CSA and air speed, the concept of a balanced port is hard to grasp when you cannot correlate (Tie out in accounting terms) the three major players; Flow, CSA, Velocity! With a bench used in a Fi-D mode you can maintain all three static and thus tie out to each other during a port mapping in your quest for a Balanced Port. I am not saying this cannot be done on FL-D test stand but it will just be exponentially more difficult.

Rick
AceR

Post by AceR »

Somehow Rick I don't think a guy with a bunch of sanding rolls and a cheap air die grinder is going to be too worried about balanced air flow. I think this is where a cheaper and easier flow bench is aimed. Not at pros. It would be a step up from not using one at all, which most DIY one time porters do. They just grind on the port and hope for the best. If a FD can be a step between no flowbench and a $1000 and up bench then I think it would be a great thing.
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

But here is where I will put in my 2¢ again. ;) If you are going cheap and easy I built the chamber side with the orifice plate inside from Bruce's plans and hooked my two shop vac's up to it. I then built my own inclined manometer for $25 and then built my own velocity probe, all on the cheap. I still can do everything except flow above 12" H2O :D When it comes to cheap I am the guy and I have a full functioning orifice bench to do all of what we are referring to for under $500, way under.

John

but I hear what you are saying.
Flash

Post by Flash »

AceR, you certainly have a passion for this floating pressure drop bench, AND WE ALL CAN UNDERSTAND, PASSION OF A PROJECT!!!!

I think you have a game plan and every one on here is behind you, NOT AGENCED you.

Figure up what materals you need and build it.

and i thing Johns idea is a Good one, look into it some more. ;)
Gordon
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

Somehow Rick I don't think a guy with a bunch of sanding rolls and a cheap air die grinder is going to be too worried about balanced air flow.
CFM is the least of the worries grind a big hole and you can have all of that you want, when i speak of a balanced port i am not talking about Bias but the one with enough flow to make a difference and good velocity to give it a kick in the ass.
If a FD can be a step between no flowbench and a $1000 and up bench then I think it would be a great thing.
Ace and this is where you and I differ, I would not expend the energy to build an Fl-d tester when for little or no money one can build a true ratiometric flowbench. It does not have to be a PTS bench from the plans it is simple hardware store products every last part. I believe I could build a 2 motor variable depression orifice bench that at the end of the day I could calibrate to with 5% if not better only using basic had tools and supplies from Home depot etc., all for less than $100 to $125 using scrap motors or my shop vac. This is where this forum started and most of still believe in it. Yes we tout Bruce’s plans because they are proven and yes many of us push them as we have seen the progression of many that have come here go through the phase. What I would love to see someone do is build a Cube two motors Harbor Freight router speed control and water gauges, with a good spreadsheet it would kick the pants off a SF110 be educational and what you learn in making the bench work (Airflow Math) caries over to the porting.

Listen I started very naive in this forum I spent 50 bucks on the mercdog plans then printed of the Car Craft or Hot Rod article that they came from, hey there plans call for making the orifice with a hole saw it works it can be done and you could even use scrap plexiglass as it cuts easy and makes a nice edge.

Here is the list for a suck only variable depression fixed orifice bench if you have buy everything except motors.

1 sheet ¾ MDF form HD $35.27 not on sale
1 Harbor Freight router speed control $17.99 today on sale
2 Wooden yard sticks Epire From HD 2.97 = $6.00
12 feet ¼ vinyl tubing $6
1 box 1 5/8 #8 cabinet screws #8.00
2 dumpster diving vacuum motors Free
1 squirt ketchup bottle for incline reservoir $1 at the Dollar store.

That leaves 50 Bucks for some odds and ends and to tip the guy at HD to cut all your panels for you oh and a 2” to 3” hole saw for you orifice plates, if you do not have any. And for a couple bucks (35.27 max) more I bet I could make it flow both directions.

Oh and please do not harp on the motor thing as there are many benches on this form with dumpster motors, if you are to proud to dive I will sell you some new ones real cheep. I think you could flow close to 175 cfm at 28” and 250CFM at 10” using a 6” Delta P with 2 average motors.

For what it is worth Bruce and I have been passing plan ideas back and forth about what we call the cube it will be a bench top two motor reversible flow bench designed to run on a 6” DP PTS DM for the Karter’s and small port heads.

Rick