senior project flow bench

Orifice Style bench discussions
KTRB

senior project flow bench

Post by KTRB »

Quick intro, I graduated earlier this year as a mechanical engineer and I did an orifice-tube style bench; this forum was quite helpful and so I wanted to share my report with people who might find it interesting. As a quick abstract of the report, I was able to build the bench for around $140 (half was the for digital manometer) and get a percent error of around +6% compared to a SF-600 bench @ 15" depression. Enjoy.

http://www.flowbenchtech.com/hosted/Cor ... ldraft.pdf
1960FL

Re: senior project flow bench

Post by 1960FL »

Nick,

As one of the sources of your paper and author of FlowBench 101, i thank you for recognizing the forum in your paper especially at the top of the list or at least above Vizard :-) For that you get an A+

As for your derived error and your method of validation, Cylinder head and SuperFlow SF 600 i give you an F :mrgreen:

Since you are now engrossed in the FlowBench and understand the math to determine flow through an orifice i would have suggested you create 5 orifice's of size 10% 25% 50% 75% and 90% of the internal orifice. Then calibrate your bench and test each one at 15". Then do the same on a SF 600 Calibrated with the same plate you calibrated with then test the 5 plates again at 15". You will have now compared equipment design and function against design and function eliminating the errors of cylinder head testing and all that goes with it and its setup.

Nice job.

Rick