Importance of dimensions in orifice area?

Orifice Style bench discussions
RACEPUMPER

Importance of dimensions in orifice area?

Post by RACEPUMPER »

Simple question, I know I've seen this discussion before, but I can't find it now.
How important is the comparison of areas above and below (or either side of) the orifice plate? Should we aim for both areas to be 80% of each other in cubic volume? Is it critical or as long as there are no restrictions are we ok?

Jim
I really love making stuff but don't finish much
Tony

Re: Importance of dimensions in orifice area?

Post by Tony »

You only really need to have a suitably large settling chamber volume up stream of the measurement orifice.
For a bench that is expected to work equally well in both directions, two settling chambers will be required.
I doubt if they need always be absolutely identical, but they should probably end up being fairly similar for any given final bench layout.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
RACEPUMPER

Post by RACEPUMPER »

Thanks Tony, I thought that would be the case, I'm drawing up a small bench top unit and trying to make it as small as practical.

Jim
I really love making stuff but don't finish much
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

Maintain a high beta ratio between the plate hole diameter and the cabinet sides

If you search for beta ratio on the current forum and old forum you will find a few threads discussing it.

The baffle plate on the PTS design will effect the orifice plate if it is closer than 3" something to think about.

As we have discussed fitting it all in a table-top design can be a challenge, Rick and I have been working on a design on and off the past year just have not found the time to build one yet
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .