Flow straightener

Orifice Style bench discussions
rebk87

Flow straightener

Post by rebk87 »

Hi
I have to design a flow straightener for a pipe used for testing heart valves, the pipe now has this acrylic spheres put in together in a kind of stack. Clearly it has many problems, one of them is that after changing the valve to be tested there are air bubbles trapped between the spheres, therefore when the whole testing system is activated the air bubbles come out and prevent us from visualize the flow and the velocity measures are not accurate. So the aim here is to design a flow straightener that doesn't present this problem. I have thought in a stack of straws or a honeycomb plate. I would like you to let me know some of your ideas to solve this problem.

The dimensions of this pipe are about 6 inches length, a rectangular section of 2 x 1.25 inches.

Regards

Rebeca
Brucepts
Site Admin

Re: Flow straightener

Post by Brucepts »

I had made something out of plastic straws on my old pitot style flowbench. I then located a place that could supply honeycomb material. From this material I made a flow straightener see attached pics

I did not see any difference on my testing with or without the flow straightener.

I would have to go back and see if I can find the name of the company they had sent me samples in 1/2" and 3/4" thickness. (UPDATE) Here is the link to the company I dealt with: http://www.plascore.com/product-honeycomb-cores.htm

Doesn't answer your questions, but might give you some ideas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .