restriction under orifice plate?

Orifice Style bench discussions
oldrusty

restriction under orifice plate?

Post by oldrusty »

i am currently building an orifice style flow bench and all the pics of others ive looked at show a hole or some bottle neck after the orifice plate before the vacuum source like a 5 or 6 inch hole is this just to make sure to pull the air directly from under the orifice plate or is there something else to this? thanks
Tony

Re: restriction under orifice plate?

Post by Tony »

If your flow bench is required to flow in both directions (both blow and suck) through the test piece, then some type of air reversing system is required.

Many people here use a series of fairly large holes with a sliding plate that changes the flow direction through the bench, by blocking/uncovering a combination of holes.

I strongly suggest you purchase a set of flow bench plans from Bruce.
It will answer all your questions, is a very well proven design, and will save you a lot of time and money in the long run.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
oldrusty

Post by oldrusty »

I didn't mean the flow direction chamber just that I usually see a hole like 5-6" under the plate in the bottom chamber with a ate over it much like the entry/settling chamber entrance.
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

Who's flowbench has something like that?

Have a picture of what you are referring to?

A 5 or 6" hole is not going to be much of a restriction on a 600cfm@28" bench if you do the math :)
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .