Newbee trying to build first flow bench

Orifice Style bench discussions
jxm1109

Newbee trying to build first flow bench

Post by jxm1109 »

Hey guys,

I'm part of a racing team at school, working on a mini formula 1 car. We're trying to get a flow bench going so we can test our cylinder head, intake system, etc. We're running a Honda 450X on the car. From what I've read most people seem to be more inclined towards the horifice plate benches instead of the pitot tube benches. So to get the ball rolling we have some questions:

a) Is the settling chamber nothing more than a larger pipe that will let the air expand and make the velocity profile a little bit more uniform?

b) Will we be reading pressures right before and right after the orifice plate and using these numbers to calculate CMF and/or velocities? If so, could we use some probes along with the digital manometer from PTS to get this data?

c) How much of a difference does a flow straightener make?

d) What sort of advantages does having a valve somewhere in your system give you?

e) How do you go about determining your pipe sizes after the straightener?

Any feedback is much appreciated guys, we're trying to get as much data as possible to tune our car the best way we can

Thanks,

Javier
Flash

Re: Newbee trying to build first flow bench

Post by Flash »

This would be a grate start!
http://www.flowbenchtech.com/plans.html

;)
Gordon
MatiasAho

Re: Newbee trying to build first flow bench

Post by MatiasAho »

jxm1109 wrote:Hey guys,

I'm part of a racing team at school, working on a mini formula 1 car...
Formula SAE? I'm part of our UAS Tampere Formula Student team :)

BTW. I think it's best to use electrical manometers if possible! I find it makes thinks easier...